The difference between a white guy breaking into a car and a black guy breaking into a car

The white guy was on a way less busy street while the black guy was next to a liquor store on a busy street. Have the white guy break into the car at that same location as the black guy or one similar. Changing the location was either done out of convenience for the shoot, ignorance in how the difference in locals would effect reactions or they knew the location difference would skew results.

1 Like

what? you mean cops might have better things to do than help you out? :wink:

Reminds me of when my wife and I (white and Asian-American, respectively) were walking in the highly Asian American neighborhood of Flushing, Queens, and, being typically impatient New Yorkers, crossed against a light when no cars were coming. A few feet behind us two African American men did the same. A police car rolled up behind them and the officer told them they’d just done something unsafe and illegal, and asked what they were doing in the neighborhood. He completely ignored the two of us, even though we committed the same offense.

It’s a small thing but very ugly, and if you’re not a victim of it you’re not really aware that it happens.

5 Likes

Fine then, respond to my example.

Examine yourself for a moment. If the black guy was on the busier street and the white guy on the less busy one, I suspect you’ll find you’d have used the opposite facts to support your identical point.

If anything, I think the reverse would have stronger support to it - someone breaking into a car on a busy street clearly is in the right and not afraid of what witnesses will think, while someone on a quiet residential street may be hoping not to be seen.

But, fundamentally, both forms of the arguments come down to “La, la, la, I can’t hear the racism because I won’t stop talking with my fingers in my ears.”

5 Likes

the racism lies in the different behavior towards black and towards white people. but the fact that somebody can try to break into a car in broad daylight is a different matter. that belies a strange ‘i don’t give a fuck’-attitude.

“Fine then, respond to my example.”

I’m really not going to interact with you because you’re being snide from the get go.

“That’s the only reason, I’m sure.”

Yes. Pretty much.

"Mostly because Gen_Mal’s thesis is that this wouldn’t have happened in the same part of town or if they were dressed the same or whatever "

Cut and paste where I said that. My argument is I didn’t see racism in this video. I pointed that out without using any of the examples listed above.

"He is different, he doesn’t agree with you, his thoughts are wrong and deserve scorn. "

Yes. I am different from whatever straw man you have in mind. You can’t even get my argument right and you dismiss it. I love the use of “scorn” though. Very self righteous.

“http://newsone.com/1195595/shocking-new-studies-show-racism-exists-affects-peoples-actions/”

I really love this. Where did I say that racism doesn’t exist? I think you care more about being self righteous rather than the truth of the matter.

“Examine yourself for a moment. If the black guy was on the busier street and the white guy on the less busy one, I suspect you’ll find you’d have used the opposite facts to support your identical point.”

It’s really sad that the local wasn’t the same. It would have gotten rid of all this conjecture.

“If anything, I think the reverse would have stronger support to it - someone breaking into a car on a busy street clearly is in the right and not afraid of what witnesses will think, while someone on a quiet residential street may be hoping not to be seen.”

I wouldn’t think that. An opinion of what could happen isn’t the same as witnessing what happened.

“No, it would not have. Then it would just be: it was a different time of day, different day of the week, different month, year, weather, color shirt, etc.”

And different people observing the same action by two different people. The video doesn’t prove anything.

“Apologists for racism can always find an excuse why it was not race related.”

I’m not apologizing for racism. It exists. Pointing out the flaws in a video doesn’t make one a “racial apologist”. I’m sure it’s easier for you to dismiss my points by calling me that though.

“No, you are being a bully. How about you step out of a conversation that doesn’t involve you and let Gen_Mal respond or not respond based on their wishes.”

If only more people were civil.

1 Like

I’ve seen this video before. Even though I know I am supposed to feel the outrage re: race, all I feel when I see this video is hilarious amusement at the men trying to help the pretty girl break the bike lock. They are so freakin’ desperate.

3 Likes

No – that’s what we’re all saying. That’s not some tangential, interesting point. That’s the point. That’s the whole point of the video. That’s what “white privilege” means.

It means you can try to break into a car in broad daylight and people assume you’re not committing a crime. Because you’re white.

It might be hard to see this flip-side and recognize that racism isn’t just black people being profiled, it’s also white people being “un-profiled,” but that was the point of the video.

8 Likes

If they’d done it at the same location, people around would know it couldn’t be both their cars.

1 Like

I’m not surprised that nobody confronted the white guy. He looked like one tough motherfucker. Even the police were too scared to stop him.

1 Like

That’s the only reason, I’m sure.

2 Likes
1 Like

See, he was totally going to respond but your continued snideity means he’ll just withhold his erudite comments from you.

Crap. now I’m being snide too and won’t get a response either.

3 Likes

To be fair, he was the heroin dealing Bond villain “Mr Big” in Live and Let Die.

2 Likes

Fuck, it’s never that easy when I do it…

1 Like

It’s really sad that the local wasn’t the same. It would have gotten rid of all this conjecture.

No, it would not have. Then it would just be: it was a different time of day, different day of the week, different month, year, weather, color shirt, etc.

Apologists for racism can always find an excuse why it was not race related.

6 Likes

You’re not being snide enough then.

1 Like

Goddamnit.