"The" in band names

Or The Thes?

Well, then:

Definite Article

I think the correct form is Thes The.

I was very disappointed to find out that one bandā€™s name was not ā€œSmashing Pumpkinsā€, referring to the act, but rather ā€œThe Smashing Pumpkinsā€, referring to handsome orange gourds. Now Iā€™m not so sureā€¦their first album says ā€œSmashing Pumpkinsā€ on the cover, and the second says ā€œThe Smashing Pumpkinsā€.

Iā€™ve been thinking about this lately because a while back Sirius XM adopted the practice of dropping ā€˜Theā€™ from all group names on their radio displays. And as has been brought up elsewhere in the thread, I have to wonder whether they play any songs by The The. At any rate, I think it was a terrible decision on their part, because the definite article matters, and it does mean something.

Nerd counterpart: ā€œActually [pushes glasses up nose], itā€™s The Batman.ā€

Checked out the band site, and thereā€™s no ā€œTheā€ in the header. It looks like it was adopted off-and-on by the band as an affectation, or possibly just where it made sense on packaging.

Smashing Pumpkins - The Covers and Rare Stuff Vol. 1

is different from

The Smashing Pumpkins - Rarities and B-Sides

Similar period releases may or may not include a ā€œtheā€. Two tribute albums to the band donā€™t name the band that way:

A Gothic-Industrial Tribute to Smashing Pumpkins

and

The String Quartet Tribute to Smashing Pumpkins

Maybe their flip-flopping is intentional. Itā€™s a subtle reference to how they could be very, very good - but when they were bad, they were naughty!

Smashing Pumpkins sounds like a Terry-Thomas or Leslie Phillips chat up line.

Ding dong!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.