The most heartbreaking thing David Attenborough has ever seen

[Permalink]

I saw a video where one group of chimps attacked another group of chimps, and they got a hold of a juvenile chimp and dismembered and ate it. There was a scene where they were passing around skull chunks, having a taste of its head meat. 'Cause that’s how chimpanzees do.

Bonobos are the cool ones. They just hang out and “do it”.

4 Likes

You can hear it in his voice when he’s describing the babies being separated from their mothers and thus easy targets, moments before one is in fact snared by two hulking chimps working together. sob

3 Likes

I really wish Ze Frank would do a Chimps video.

3 Likes

Baboons to the left of me. Baboons to the right. The speeding locomotive tore through a sea of inhuman fangs. A pair of the great apes rose up at me but – bam, bam! – I sent them flying like two hairy footballs. A third came screaming at me! … and that’s when I got mad.

3 Likes

Scary how closely this resembles human behavior, isn’t it?

10 Likes

I’ve always disliked chimps.

2 Likes

Now I feel compelled to call all my friends and partake in a friendly and bonding BBQ.

Then go to the zoo and ate all the monkeys.

Disturbingly, what they hunt is other primates.

I don’t personally find this any more disturbing than big fish that eat smaller fish or falcons that catch pigeons.

4 Likes

(replying to the post about “maggie making $8,140 a week” for visiting some website- which was deleted by the moderator)
Thank you, Spambot, for making this topic a little more lighthearted.

2 Likes

I remember seeing this on BBC the first time it was shown. Powerful, unforgettable stuff.

1 Like

“One day I was a young boy I saw a mother otter with her cubs. Even as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and the pink roes spilled out much to the delight of the baby otters. Mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that is when I first learned about evil. It is built into the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.” — Lord Vetinari, in a rare moment of (tipsy) candor

13 Likes

The most harrowing thing I’ve seen on a nature programme was (I think) Planet Earth, where lions took down a young elephant. It took a very long time to die. Hard to watch.

Most of us have seen films of lions or hyenas disemboweling various African mammals. So, like, other species can use teamwork and premeditation to get food, but when apes do it we’re squigged out. Maybe it’s a sort of uncanny valley phenomenon?

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m not going to watch it again. Chimps are really vicious at times.

Exactly. No animals are “nice” by human moral standards, so we’d best get over it. I mean, I have two cats myself, and aren’t they so cuuute, when they cuddle up and purr and come begging for food? Now, if I were three inches tall I’d probably not find them very cute. No animals live up to human criteria for cuteness, not even humans.

6 Likes

How in the world do you even film a thing like this? Following the hunting party, anticipating its destination, and getting there ahead of it to set up cameras?

The nature/death scene I remember the most was a pod of orca chasing a mother whale and her young calf, eventually separating them, and killing the baby.

The scene out of Planet Earth that I still feel bad about was a giraffe calf who got separated from its parents in a sandstorm. One moment, it was happy mom, dad and little one cavorting in the sun… then the dust cloud rises, panic and running ensues and the calf found itself alone, desperately calling for its parents. End of footage.

I think it bothered me so much because we didn’t even see at least some baby predators getting their chance at survival. Just a calf getting utterly alone and lost… I’m going to get something out of my eye now…

1 Like

Where is my unicorn chaser?! [sob]

ETA: I’m going to go watch that baby bat video that’s all over facebook now.