The new "Cosmos" is getting great reviews

[Permalink]

2 Likes

count me in as one more positive review. I really enjoyed the tone of the show. First of all it avoided the terrible production and editing style of History Channel type shows. Second of all, I couldnā€™t see Seth MacFarlaneā€™s fingerprint anywhere. I was quite pleased about that.

4 Likes

How do you not have access to OTA channels on your tv?

1 Like

Sometimes a cord cutter isnā€™t just saying ā€œI hate paying my asshole local cable monopolyā€, but really saying ā€œIā€™m watching too much TV because itā€™s too easy. If I turn off the endless spigot and make it so I have to actively seek out something I want to watch, Iā€™ll only watch the good stuff and have more time for other activities.ā€

7 Likes

I forget what time it was last night that I finally settled down to watch TV and sighed and asked myself, ā€œWith this many channels why is there nothing good on?ā€

It must have been after Cosmos was on because with multiple channels running it I canā€™t believe I didnā€™t see it in the listings. Well, fortunately my local cable company has a nice replay service where Iā€™ll be able to watch it tonight when Iā€™m sure there wonā€™t be anything goodā€“or at least not anything betterā€“on.

1 Like

OTA=Over The Air. As in free. No cord.

Cosmos was broadcast on National Geographic (cable), but it was also broadcast on Fox, which is free TV most everywhere I can think of.

2 Likes

You missed the entire point of my post.

Iā€™m saying ā€œcord cutterā€ is a broader term than just ā€œI dropped my cable companyā€. It also includes people who are actively trying to watch less TV by making it difficult to just get a constant stream of random stuff.

This is as opposed to the people who tell you they never watch TV ever period. These people still watch shows, but only ones that get enough praise from their peers that theyā€™re worth seeking out and watching.

3 Likes

Okay, I mightā€™ve missed your point. But it seems like you misread what Maggie wrote.

She said:

premiered last night on a bunch of channels I donā€™t have access to on my TV. [Emphasis mine.]

That certainly suggests that:

1. She has a TV;
  2. She watches it to some extent;
  3. She would have watched Cosmos but didnā€™t realize she could.

Thing is, everyone in the US who has a TV and lives in or near a city/metro of any significance has access to a Fox affiliate. I gather Maggie lives in the Twin Cities metro, so she certainly has access.

1 Like

If I didnā€™t have cable, I wouldnā€™t have been able to watch the show. Even though I live in a small city, we have only one television station that I could pull-in using an antenna. The PBS station run by the local university. I would have to put-up at least a 30ā€™ tower with an antenna to get some of the OTA channels broadcasting from a city 60 miles away. And, even then, thereā€™s no guarantee I would be able to get the FOX affiliate.

2 Likes

My antenna doesnā€™t pick up Fox.

6 Likes

Maybe your antenna is too liberal.

22 Likes

it was AWESOME! 3 huge cheers for Neil deGrasse Tyson for opening with quick recognition of Sagan, then driving an absolutely brilliant show that, if we can GET kids/teens to watch? would definitely spark interest in science.

This is what we need, Heroes of Science, so we can have some advancement, instead of the desire to become an actor/sports star/prostitute or wahtever quick path to riches the media is feeding everyone.

Hooray! LOVED Episode 1.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll interrogate it later.

9 Likes

Itā€™s on Fox, so count on it being out of order and cancelled despite the fact the FANS CLEARLY WANT MORE STORIES ABOUT MAL AND THE REAVERS!

ā€¦ sorry, lost my train of thought for a second there. Looking forward to it.

5 Likes

Itā€™ll be rebroadcast on Nat Geo tonight, if you have it.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t around when Cosmos first showed. However I saw it during rebroadcasts since Iā€™d only missed it by a few years and it was still fairly relevant. This time Iā€™m getting to see it as it happens, but Cosmos isnā€™t for me. Sure Iā€™m a science nerd and found the experience fairly enjoyable, but Cosmos isnā€™t for us geeks. Itā€™s for those that arenā€™t sure of this whole ā€˜scienceā€™ thing and need a gentle nudge to see what theyā€™ve been missing. Granted your typical lecture about Infinity or Zero or whatever is about as interesting as watching paint dry, but thatā€™s where Doctor Neil Degrasse Tyson really shines. Heā€™s a man that engages and brings a human element to his talks simply by being excited about the stuff heā€™s talking about. This is also where Carl Sagan excelled and the reason eight year old me found the original show fascinating wasnā€™t just the facts, but that these facts were given to me by someone who was excited about the whole experience. Trust me after having puttered around trying to absorb whatever bits of interesting I can, failing college because I got bored and distracted, and constant frustration at History and TLC turning away from education to ā€˜Realityā€™ TV I understand how big a difference presentation makes. This show nails that part down pretty hard.

Sadly with TV being what it is almost a third of the hour long time slot Cosmos was given is trying to sell you something, and the constant break for commercials after every single little transition was quite jarring.Sad really, but I suppose one takes what one gets and frankly Iā€™m grateful Fox has put forward the sort of effort they have at trying to put forward a show going on at how important Science is when theyā€™re a network I at least mostly associate with wing-nut politics that take the stereotypical anti-intellectual christian stereotype and run with it. Sure I suppose with shows like Fringe and Too Human that really shouldnā€™t be the case, but on the whole itā€™s a network I associate more with Family Guy than Fringe.

Speaking of, Seth McFarlain (guy that created Family Guy) stuck his neck out pretty far to make sure this show got made and aired. Seth, I might think Family Guy is a steaming pile, but dude I gotta respect you for getting this show on the air. Thank You.

It isnā€™t perfect and the commercials constantly broke immersion for me, but they did well enough that I want to see more. Fortunately it will be showing on a weekly basis on Fox every Sunday at 9 Eastern, and again on Mondays at National Geographic plus Hulu and thereā€™s already an upload of the first episode on youtube (that Iā€™m hoping gets left up, but if they took it down to make room for it on Google Play I wouldnā€™t be overly surprised.) I want this show to do well because I want a new generation to be inspired to look up down and all around while asking questions about everything around them.

Originally from my blog: http://t.co/osvGGk9XGE

2 Likes

So far, so good. Iā€™m hoping that at least one of the many spokespeople for God on FOX News will learn the true definition of ā€˜theoryā€™.

Maybe not.

2 Likes

I had to turn it off. Unwatchable. Too many cheesy ads. Least common denominator script, cheesy, overblown special effects, cheesy music. He dressed sloppily and the camera work was overblown with those cheesy cartoons.ā€¦the whole thing was not classy and not even half as good as Carl Saganā€™s excellent series.
America is dumbed way down again. Take a page from the BBC and their planet series.

Yeah, heā€™s not a dapper dresser like Carl Saganā€¦

:wink:

4 Likes

Havenā€™t seen it, but it based on comments and other reviews it appears they oversimplified why Giordano Bruno was executed by the Inquisition.

1 Like