The sad old motels of Barstow, California

I thought all of those anthropomorphic cars managed to get this place hopping again!

All of those shitty signs remind me of this videoā€¦

America Is F*ckedā€¦(Graphically at least)

2 Likes

I stay in Barstow every time I go out on a desert photo safari. I like it. Dirt cheap hotels, have yet to see a bed bug. Its a little slice of dying Americana that I enjoy passing through. I need to spend some time shooting some of those signs as well.

2 Likes

Or donā€™t come backā€¦you could do that too.

1 Like

I donā€™t understand this comment within the context of this blog post.

I was replying to Headcodeā€™s comment regarding Baker.

Boston. Cheers was famously set in Boston.

Sorry if that was pedantic.

Iā€™m curious, thoughā€“a Hollywood producer wanted a screenplay that you hadnā€™t written; werenā€™t you tempted to write one for her? Itā€™s not often I hear of writers turning down work. You seem to have had your reasons, may I ask what they were?

2 Likes

Hey, you two, can I get your picture together? OK, lean in closer. THANKS!

1 Like

After the last Shuttle launch, Titusville, the bedroom community for Cape Canaveral, looks like itā€™s going the same way. We spent a couple of days there for the launch, and at least 1/3 of the businesses are out of business, or have ā€˜For Saleā€™ signs. On Saturday night, the parking lot of the one covered mall in town was empty. Houses are thick with ā€˜For Saleā€™ signs too. The only place doing good business was Dixie Crossroads, a local restaurant with addictive corn poppers.

I have a soft spot for these lingering bits of roadside memorabilia. They might be fated to die out as traffic patterns change and major attractions fade, but in the meantime, I will tend to support them.

2 Likes

The Astro Budget Motel looks very familiarā€¦ possibly used in a movie? (I did a quick search but didnā€™t find anything). Maybe itā€™s just a common form factor.

I stayed for a week at the Rodeway Inn when I had a wheel hub go out on my shitty Porsche. Decent enough place but the hospitality staff told me they get paid per room cleaned and I hope to God thatā€™s not actually legal

Iā€™ve done a fair bit of traveling the highways and byways of the U.S. by M/C, and I find it grandly preferential to stay off the interstates for a variety of reasons including the likelihood of passing through interesting areas like Barstow, the dying small towns of West Texas, and the amazing wide-open middle-of-nowhere backroads of the central and northern U.S. For what itā€™s worth, I heartily recommend staying in those little motels for the stories youā€™ll gather from the owners and fellow travelers. Every now and again there might be the odd heroin junkie next door trying to batter down the front door at 2am because heā€™s lost and trying to escape the dealer to whom he owes an uncertain amount of cash and even though itā€™s fucking fucking snowing and bitterly cold outside heā€™ll want to expand on his life story while you try to tell him that his room is next door and itā€™s late and you donā€™t want any of those godamn cupcakes heā€™s got and no you donā€™t have any money to borrow.

ahem

Stayed in one of those little places in Durango, CO a few years back, and coming outside to get the bike ready the following morning I noticed a young man in the full Native American garb, headdress and all. Came to find out that he and his family were in town for a celebration of their culture (I forget the specific tribe) that included sacred dances and sharing of their language. It was badass and they were absolutely cool about my stupid questions. So, go for the culture and the people, and maybe just give the damned heroin addict whatever cookies youā€™ve got so heā€™ll go away.

Chuck Berry didnā€™t include Barstow in ā€˜hisā€™ song Route 66 because Chuck Berry didnā€™t write the song Route 66. The song Route 66 was written by Bobby Troup.
Look it up. A little research goes a long way.

Hey Noahdjango.
Sorry. Bostonā€¦ Chicagoā€¦ they blend. My cousins live in Boston. Theyā€™ll have a thing or two to say about thatā€¦ apologies.

I didnā€™t take up her line of interest as at the time I was writing part time for NBC.com and in discussions about the optioning of a different screenplay Iā€™d written with an independent producer. Iā€™d also just been ripped off by a producer who I developed a treatment for a project called fly low fly fast - a story about the Reno Air Races. A composer friend said ā€œyouā€™ve been ripped off by your friend. Welcome to Hollywood.ā€

So I kinda just figured books might be better and have less of a BS circus surrounding them.

Thank you for your reply.

There was a fella who wrote an article on BB not long ago lamenting the drying up of all the work for professional writers in LA/Hollywood, where heā€™d relocated specifically because the market used to be so large. Mindful of that, your post set off my spider-sense, hence my inquiry. I had not considered that previous treachery would factor into your decision, though I suppose I shouldnā€™t be surprised. It was certainly none of my business, so I do appreciate you satisfying my curiosity.

I am glad to hear you were able to get a book on what Iā€™d reckon to be such a niche subject published nowadays.

I worked construction (concrete) during college and for a couple years afterā€¦ Often stayed in little motels when we were ā€œon the roadā€ ā€“ there were always characters aplenty (often the owners). My favorite was Grandma Smrecher ?sp? who used to play her piano and ā€œsellā€ us drinks for a pittance (probably less than what it cost her) and generally entertain us with stories.

1 Like

We canā€™t stop here. This is bat country.

I drive through Barstow quite a bit - never see these motels - only the ā€œStationā€ McDonalds. Thanks for this.A bit depressing like the Route 66 stuff from ā€œCars.ā€

September 2008 https://www.flickr.com/photos/albion/2960528213/in/set-72157608235864295

Another better perspective on the El Rancho Motel in 2008 https://www.flickr.com/photos/albion/2963992316