The truth of Game Of Thrones’ inciting incident has been revealed [Recap: season 4, episode 5]

Variations on a theme really…

It seems like the wall and all things north are the red headed stepchild of these stories. perhaps everyone will whip their heads around when tens of thousands of wildlings being pursued by an army of ice zombies flow over the wall at some point, but despite what seem to be open communications and a relatively quick travel time, there are still only a few hundred men at castle black. Even operatives on missions to kill little boys don’t turn around and run back to give word that there is not much standing between the northern kingdoms and oblivion.

Maybe a few carts of green fire juice will solve this problem in a half an episode at some point…

2 Likes

So this is funny, but it is a reminder that hodor is carrying Brandt around like a doll or on a sledge, when clearly he should have a Master-Blaster like backpack setup.

I imagine Theon having all the ravens in Winterfell killed jammed up the network a fair amount.

Winter is coming :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You completely missed the Cercei scenes. Cercei was not having a civil conversation. All three interactions had one purpose at all costs: have Tyrion executed. She spoke with two people she despises and even tried to play Tywin, which she never did - even when being forced to marry a homosexual.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more! Cersei had a list of targets and she was checking them off. 2/3 were judges in Tyrion’s trial, and one was connected to the other judge in an influential way. Cersei was making a deal in a way that would suit the royal piggybank and the Martells: another try at the queenship for Tyrion’s head. And did you SEE that conversation with Oberyn Martell??? The guy has a soft spot for one thing: the well-being of children. Cue all that weepy doe-eyed business about Myrcella. Cersei was striking deals right and left in order to secure Tyrion’s destruction, especially with Jaime proving unreliable. One of the few times the show has let her be intelligent, in my opinion.

5 Likes

Fun Fact: Before “Thunderdome” Master was in Todd Browning’s “Freaks”

Dwarf actor Angelo Rossitto (1908-1991). The 2′ 11″ Rossitto has the interesting distinction of being the only member of the sideshow cast of Todd Browning’s Freaks to have had a real film career, appearing in over 70 films in a 60 year stretch between 1927 and 1987.

1 Like

Has Margaery ever elucidated why exactly she wants to be Queen? Her family has plenty of money (and therefore power,) so why would she want to paint a target on her back? It doesn’t seem like a very fulfilling career choice.

1 Like

Lots of money and power still does not equal the ULTIMATE power, of being the supreme ruler (or at least, married to the supreme ruler).

Arya had another protector, Jaqen H’ghar, who helped her in her escape from the Lannisters, after Arya helped him escape from a caged cart.

When Jagen left Arya, he gave her a coin that she could use to summon help from any man of Braavos; and as he rode off he face shape-shifted suggesting (to me at least) that he may have actually been Syrio.

I have no trouble believing Syrio survived the carnage with only a wooden practice sword, as real life Musashi defeated Japan’s second greatest swordsman with a jo (short staff) carved from an oar.

She wants to be queen because her family wants her to be queen. I don’t think personal desire enters into it very much. She just doesn’t resent her family as much as the Lannister kids so she does her job of making the right power grab. The fact that she’ll be a target isn’t lost on her.

A ruling aristocracy is a source of power at least equal to money. So, to convert money into power, you need to buy into a ruling family. And as we’ve just learned, the Lannisters are a bargain.

Yeah, but… so what? Overarching grand ambitions aside, having power is only meaningful insofar as it affords certain freedoms and maybe allows vengeance to be taken on people who’ve got it coming. We haven’t been exposed to any underlying motive or purposeful ambition, but surely the scion of House Tyrell has more than enough juice that whatever additional perks accrue to her via queenship require more of a plot device than “because I want to be Queen!” There must be something she wants to do as queen that she can’t do as That Tyrell Girl. Otherwise, really, why bother with all the bullshit inevitably surrounding the endeavour?

yes, i agree. her “wait, what did you just say?” moment was well done.

I’m waiting for the big reveal that all this scheming has been part of his plan to become mayor of Baltimore.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.