These journalism school graduates received diplomas with typos

[Permalink]

This would be a great test: to graduate, you must find the typos in your diploma.

4 Likes

That’s not the only error. The “and” is poor grammar in the year, as is the placement of AD. It should read “A.D. Two Thousand Fourteen”

3 Likes

Lois Lane: How many “f’s” in “catastrophic”?

2 Likes

So Fox News… is making light of somebody’s journalism degree… because of a typo? Do I have that right? Have the gods gone mad?

5 Likes

The part that makes this news versus any other is that this school is famous for giving out a “Medill F” on assignments containing factual errors, a category which also includes even a single misspelling.

2 Likes

It’s not as if a journalism degree would be any more valuable without the typos.

2 Likes

Are you sure about the ‘and’? I thought that leaving it out was just north American English shorthand. Most other English speakers use an ‘and’ before the tens (or ones).

Seems it works like postage stamps. Often more valuable with the typos.

2 Likes

Well, I just checked all through Wikipedia (a nice little wiki-walk), eventually settling on Comparison of American and British English, where white literally in the first sentence of the section on Numbers it is written:

When saying or writing out numbers, the British insert an and before the tens and units, as in one hundred and sixty-two or two thousand and three. In the United States it is considered correct to drop the and, as in one hundred sixty-two or two thousand three.

I believe that is is mainly because of the older American favoritism for saying the decimally written fractions as though they were longhand fractions. For instance, when saying the number 3854.12 an American is likely to say thirty-eight hundred fifty-four and twelve hundredths, rather than the (presumedly) more “British” method of three thousand, eight hundred and fifty-four point twelve. Another example of this is money, whereas I’ve heard that £4.20 would be four pounds twenty, $4.20 would be four dollars and twenty cents.

Sorry, this is off topic but do you think that has anything to do with the way Americans often say “one fourth” rather than a “a quarter” even though at other times you have “quarterbacks” 25c quarters and games divided into quarters. I’m from New Zealand and unless you were in math(s) class you’d very rarely hear “one fourth”.

I’m American and I don’t commonly hear “one fourth” either. Maybe it’s a regional thing?

(I don’t actually think it’s a regional thing. But so many bizarre variations within American English are attributable to regional dialects that this is the default response.)

I once received an award from D & AD, for my work on (as far as I remember) the Mosquito original Xbox ad. Hardly my best work - just a bunch of MEL scripts, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I was down in the credits, along with my boss as:

Research and Development: Alex Parkinson and Tim Aidley.

Anyway, I received an award with my name on it written as “and Tim Aidley”. Kinda took the shine off it.

3 Likes

So nice to meet you, Andtim.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.