These time-lapse maps show how much hotter the USA will be when you're old

is that a time-lapse map, or just a lapse in labelling a regular map?

Which country are you planning to go to, to escape global warming?

3 Likes

The problem with Everything these days it’s just not as all encompassing as it used to be…

1 Like

As of 0845 hrs Central, 26 June, the following error message appears when trying to visit the ClimateDesk site or the page:

Error establishing a database connection

The Underground Kingdom of the Mole People. DUH.

Seriously though, whatever country I move to won’t be immune, but at least I’ll have decent health care for when I get heat stroke, and I won’t be surrounded by assholes still denying that global warming exists in 2080.

1 Like

Still, that means going to college when you’re 29, and “adult” when you’re 49, and in retirement in your 90’s. All those date ranges need to be moved back a decade.

around the time you add the parsley?

Global warming.

Always the future tense, never the present.

The crisis of the future . . .

and always will be.

San Francisco for the win!

It’s not the heat it’s the humidity

1 Like

It seems like it varies, and in particular depends on whether the frog still has a brain, per wikipedia.

That’s entirely wrong; in fact this very blog often mentions examples otherwise. I guess you might not have noticed that, this being your first post and all, but you’d think you might have seen discussion about droughts and ice caps somewhere or other.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I think it is fair to suggest that if you want to discuss this topic here, it would help to learn something about it first.

Seems apt.

1 Like

I went to college around that time. So I must be going to be an adult in a few years. Explains a lot.

In every generation there are always some people fighting for progress and others fighting to retain the status quo.

For more than 40 years there have been powerful vested interests doing their best to stop any move away from highly profitable activities that contribute to global warming. And it’s true, some of the Olds who have been wrestling with this for a long time are getting a bit tired.

So, JonS, if you think you can do better, go for it. More power to your elbow. And one day, as the thermometer soars past 95, some whippersnapper will say the exact same thing to you.

1 Like

How much will was involved in that misunderstanding? If that was an honest misunderstanding, please accept this advisory linky.

1 Like

I always thought about retiring somewhere a little warmer. So I bought in New England.

Have you actually spent any reasonable amount of time living anywhere but the US? I assure you that when God handed out stupid to the nations of Man, He was equally generous to all.

1 Like

It’s not just the boomers… try everyone involved in the Industrial revolution forward.

Oh, no. I’ve done a little - not very much and mostly personal/local. But I do try to refrain from pulling a ‘no true scotsman’ defence when the underlying point is entirely appropriate. Did my father personally screw over the union movement in this country (reader health warning: AFAICT, the US is a bit of an exception when it comes to unions. Here they were very useful.)? No. But his generation at the least passively enabled it, if not actively facilitating it. And I blame him for that. Same with AGW.

At least they did something about CFCs and the ozone hole. That was - and the lingering effects still are - a big deal here. So props for that.

I fully expect that my kids will blame my generation - and by extension me personally - for screwing the economy, squandering their generational inheritance (seafood, clean rivers, pristine national parks, etc), and not doing anything substantive about AGW.

And they’ll be right to do so.

Ummm… while calling me stupid you misunderstood my point.

The cohort in these charts is supposed to be born in 1981-2010. Then they’re supposed to have gone to college between 2020-2039. How old were the 1981ers when they went to college?

They have a typo, that’s all. My guess is that they wanted the “born” dates to start at 2000 – that makes a bit more sense for the college date of 2020. Also it means they have a family at age 40, not 60…