Things got heavy when I played this animal-mothering game

[Permalink]

1 Like

Hey, watch the language!

2 Likes

Shelter is a great game, and I think there really could be a market for realistic ecosystem simulation games.

They would be such great exercises in empathy, as well as educational in an immersive format.

the lonesome labor of fetching and feeding is really all there is to do.

So it really is just like being a parentā€¦

11 Likes

More humans means fewer lynx.

Nothing shook me to my core more than while playing The Sims 2 the game suddenly asked me if I wanted a baby. I had to walk away from the game and think for hours before finally saying yes, and almost instantly regretting it. Ugh, cyber-babies are the worst!

1 Like

We donā€™t look worried because theyā€™ve done so much worse to themselves just on the couch. Getting out to a playground is literally a day in the park compared to eight hours alone with a toddler.

Seriously though, itā€™s totally great, I love our little pair of kids, but the worry goes away the first time they start doing things on their own. I came home to the five year old doing dishes yesterday.

3 Likes

On a different note, the art direction on both shelter games is beautiful. I love love love the texturing work.

A five-year-old what?

My step-daughter hasnā€™t done a dish in her life, and sheā€™s 23.

Maybe someone would develop a game for adolescents to help them ease into domestic responsibility.

Probably not.

1 Like

Kid. On a stool no less to reach the sink.

The game you mention is called ā€œlifeā€ and they catch on pretty fast when they move out.

1 Like

I did the dishes for my mother once when I was about four years old, including the non-immersible electric coffee percolator that looked something like this

She was gracious and thanked me, but asked me not to do the dishes for her until I was a bit older.

3 Likes

Sounds like it was immersible in the end then. She should have thanked you for learning something new.

2 Likes

As a meta-comment: Iā€™d like to publicly express my joy that Leighā€™s writings are showing up on Boing Boing.

On-topic: I bought Shelter as part of a bundle awhile back and still havenā€™t managed to play it. I need more free time to keep up with all these games.

3 Likes

That worked out exactly as planned.

6 Likes

[quote=ā€œSteampunkBanana, post:10, topic:53514ā€]they catch on pretty fast when they move out[/quote].
Based on some of the ā€˜adultsā€™ Iā€™ve shared houses with, not everyone catches on that fast.

2 Likes

No, you just became their surrogate parent.

When you pile all the dirty dishes outside their room so they canā€™t get in without dealing with them they catch on pretty fast.

I usually went for the more passive option of only washing up what I needed for that meal and leaving everyone else to fend for themselves.
Itā€™s not just washing up though, I had a flatmate, who, when he first moved out of home, had to be taught how to use a toaster.

David Attenboroughā€™s Simulated Voice Narrates Lynx Tax Season FTW.

The mother carefully scents the forms for medium distance delivery, then turns into the wind and scents foreign exchange earnings taxes separately. This batch is nearly done, and she now has to winnow her four mates; or have a turbulent spring. Will temporary email accounts be enough this time?
3 Likes

I had to teach a newly left-home person that a cheese grater could only be used in a particular orientation, i.e. cutting surfaces facing upwards.

Am I an unbelievably terrible person, whose shriveled ichor-pump is immune to all goodness and warmth, for immediately realizing that this game would be much easier to play by carefully practicing the phrase ā€œYou are the weakest Lynx, Goodbye!ā€?

5 Likes