This second Ghostbusters trailer looks fantastic

4 Likes

The first Matrix was dumb as shit. I was dragged to the second thinking “Well, it couldn’t be worse than the first one!” And, boy, wow, did they surprise me…

1 Like

When people go on about stuff like “Plan 9 From Outer Space” being bad I just tell them they have no idea what truly awful things lurk in the fringes of movie history and I have seen some of them.

5 Likes

Clearly these people aren’t aware that there’s a difference between “so bad it’s entertaining” and “that’s 2 hours of my life I can’t get back”.

2 Likes

Hmm. I’m thinking I want to start a “Worst Movie I Ever Saw” thread now. There isn’t an already-extant one around here, is there?

4 Likes

There usually is, in my experience. Closest I can find is this:

Not quite the same, though.

2 Likes

This might have been stated elsewhere in the thread, but that ain’t the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man at the end.
SPOILER ALERT…
It’s (and I’ll be curious to see how this all shakes out) Rowan, a.k.a. the main villain, a.k.a. (per various toy fair photos) the Ghostbusters logo come to life.

Additional: I’m a male child of the 80s and I loved the first two Ghostbusters movies. I’m of the opinion that:

1. A reboot can be enjoyed on its own merits
  2. A reboot fine can even be not as good as the original it’s based on, and still satisfy 1) above
  3. Much of the love of the original Ghostbusters film is based on nostalgia, perhaps moreso than the objective quality of said originals
  4. No reboot is ever necessary, but also no more or less necessary than any film with an original concept (Jupiter Ascending, anyone)?
  5. I will likely enjoy this film to some degree
  6. The importance of films is greatly conflated
  7. The sky is blue
  8. The cake is a lie
5 Likes

Then we are overdue. Here we go!

This is true. For contrast, I actually kind of enjoyed the Jem and the Holograms film (if for no other reason than that Juliette Lewis was amazing).

2 Likes

There is a film chit chat thread and I post quickie reviews of stuff there, mostly the from the “class” I take. So far nothing has been as painful as Invasion Of The Star Creatures and we have seen some pretty awful films.
ETA some of the more veteran attendees of the class say King Kong Lives was the worst one.

1 Like

Lead by Trump and his 'follower’s

2 Likes

Wow. I just read the Plot Summary.

I’d pay ca$h money to see that movie, especially with 21st century VFX. Hey, Dino…!

1 Like

You can find it on YouTube… I dunno it got so hokey awful in execution I couldn’t finish watching it. The SFX were not the bad part of the film.

1 Like

I’m hopeful this is because Bill Murry plays a man who had hoped to collect the ghosts/gather all the ectoplasmic energy to try seeing his friend one last time.

2 Likes

Hmm. I dunno, I can stomach quite a bit. Like this moment from King Kong Vs. Godzilla.

For sheer hokiness, that’s a tough act to follow.

5 Likes

I like to think the Man In The Yellow Hat is in one of those helicopters.

5 Likes

Okay have you seen APE? Or Mighty Peking Man? Both of those are both awful and wonderful fun. King Kong Lives just tries to hard to be serious and make a statement that it falls flat.

Haven’t seen either. Must see both.

1 Like

His recent performances have been a bit stiff come to think of it.

7 Likes

Yes you should and you can start with APE.