Time-lapse fireflies

[Permalink]

Fireflies? Are you talking about lightning bugs? You damn Yankees.

Kidding aside, this really was lovely and wonderful to watch. I don’t remember the first time I saw fireflies, but I think this comes as close as anything could to bringing back that sense of wonder.

And it also brought back to me the evening I was taking a friend who’d spent most of his life in Britain back to my house. He stopped on the sidewalk and asked, with a trace of fear, “Why are there little lights all over your yard?” And he was delighted to learn that they were insects, and not something sinister, like will-o-the-wisps.

1 Like

Back in the (19)80s in PA, I used to catch and keep them in bug jars but they died overnight. :frowning:

People who live where there are no fireflies never really know what summer is.

Is there a place that has fireflies, but not high humidity or millions of other more irritating insects? Because I want to go to there.

Sinister?

It’s just about the only thing I miss about NY…

I did that too here in Tennessee, a decade earlier. It was wonderful having a jar of glowing bugs next to my bed, but sad to wake to find them all dead.

Then there was the time I filled a jar with them and opened the jar in the house.

2 Likes

Wisps are from faery land and don’t necessarily have your interests at heart.

1 Like

I always assume that folks are reffering to the 1880s, what a decade that was.

:smile:

1 Like

What is summer then, if not constantly working in an office in the city like every other season with a complete lack of fireflies?

After breaking his leg:
Bart “Oh, I’m gonna miss the whole summer.”
Homer “Don’t worry, boy. When you get a job, like me, you’ll miss every summer.”

2 Likes

And then? Did you get in trouble?

Amazingly I did not. I don’t remember why, because my parents went to a lot of trouble catching all the loose lightning bugs in the house. They were very grateful when I showed them that if you click the lights on and off lightning bugs will light up, making them easier to find.

2 Likes

Wow. Lucky you. That is interesting to see doing the light switch on and off to see them easily.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.