TOM THE DANCING BUG: How to Tell the Difference Between an Open-Carry Patriot and a Deranged Killer

[Permalink]

6 Likes

More seriously I wonder if this rule works:

Under 40 = deranged killer.
Over 40 = just an idiot.

I know something like 90% of spree killers are under 40. From looking at the news the ā€˜open carryā€™ nuts are mostly older, or at least one of the group is older.

5 Likes

Uh huh. So, if no Oreos, RUN. Got it.

3 Likes

A deranged killer will shout loudly, ā€œIā€™m just an open carry patriot,ā€ before shooting you; an open carry patriot will shout loudly, ā€œIā€™m just an open carry patriot,ā€ before shooting you a menacing glance.

9 Likes

Daily Show had some good doā€™s and donā€™tā€™s.

7 Likes

If youā€™re in Florida, just shoot them and let Stand Your Ground sort it out.

22 Likes

Can he do another one explaining the different between thugs/gang members and ā€œnormalā€ people?

1 Like

I just wish that rather than provoking stores into banning firearms (and then, getting media attention for having a gun ban in a store), we could ban these guys for being dicks.

Could we convince a major chain to adopt the Wheaton Rule?

I mean, I know that they are carrying their weapons to demonstrate their support for open carry, but there are things you donā€™t carry around with you. Brooms are legal, but you donā€™t go shopping with one. Weedeaters are legal, but you donā€™t take one into a restaurant. Canoes are legal, but you donā€™t take one into a movie theater. They are just trying to provoke a reaction and itā€™s rude and tiresome.

I wonder if more places might just ask them to leave (or ban them) for just being disruptive, so that they canā€™t paint the whole ā€˜liberal worldā€™ as being antigun. "

Either that, or maybe people might stage a ā€˜counter-protestā€™ by open carrying fire extinguishers into all the businesses that allow the open-carry guys to do this.

ā€œWhat? Heā€™s worried there might be a terrorist. Iā€™m worried there might be a fire. Itā€™s perfectly legal.ā€

27 Likes

Yes! I would certainly feel threatened by the sight of a strapped open-carry zealot walking towards me. So I suppose, by Stand Your Ground standards, shooting him before he shoots me would be perfectly justified.

18 Likes

Any civilian who carries their gun across their front is automatically suspicious in my book because it looks like posturing. In my experience, itā€™s much more comfortable and convenient to carry it across your back.

3 Likes

Yeah, well, ā€œposturingā€ is exactly how I would describe openly carrying around a gun in order to demonstrate your support for the ā€œfreedom!ā€ to openly carry around guns.

That said, if I saw you in a Piggly Wiggly with your AK or whatever strapped to your back instead of your chest, Iā€™d still find you ā€œautomatically suspicious.ā€

16 Likes

Open carry nuts also tend to run in packs, with signs and pamphlets. Or at least dress as cowboys.

3 Likes

Open Carry Patriot stuff falls under the heading of ā€˜Shit White People Doā€™. I live in an open carry state and Iā€™ve only seen one non-white open carry case. Everyone else Iā€™ve seen open carry down here has been scared white people.

I wonder what would happen if 10-30 minorities with shotguns decided to go to a chiliā€™s together, or walk up main street in protest? My guess is the police would come and after several shots fired the ā€˜gang incidentā€™ would be under control.

The law itself isnā€™t racist but the ingrained reactions of people, law enforcement and judgesā€¦

19 Likes

Know them by their truck-nutz

15 Likes

First off, you have a great attitude on this, please keep sharing it.

But they can, and they will, just paint larger and larger swaths of the world as being ā€˜liberalā€™ or, as I like to imagine a gun-nuts worldview, paint larger and larger swaths of the world as filled with ā€œfilthy hobbitses who want my preciousā€.

And being outnumbered merely makes their underdogged determination stronger.

6 Likes

Hey man, they started itā€¦

ā€¦ and then they quickly passed a law banning people from carrying loaded guns in public.

So maybe if people want to get more gun control laws enacted, we need more black people willing to test the existing laws. Some brave, brave black peopleā€¦

22 Likes

Guns are so scary. But how to know if someone has a bomb in their backpack? Is that just a student slouching under the weight of all those books, or is that a crazed teen or 20-something about to drop off a pressure cooker bomb that is in that backpack?

1 Like

Hmm, I kinda donā€™t think that black people should be expected or even called upon to take up this fight.

Anyway, it seems sure to backfire, since the mighty corporate/right-wing media machine has had a lot of practice separating Problems With Those Black People from Threats To ā€œOurā€ (White Patriotsā€™) Freedoms.

2 Likes

Most gang members make it VERY OBVIOUS they are in a gang ā€“ thatā€™s part of the point of being in a gang. Colors, style of dress, TATTOOS (which make it very, very easy to identify them).

How to tell if someone is not a gang member? They donā€™t have gang tattoos.

Your analogy is faulty.

2 Likes

Itā€™s legal to own a chainsaw and a hockey mask, right?

7 Likes