TOM THE DANCING BUG: The God-Man Fan Club vs. … Clod-Man!

[Permalink]

6 Likes

No God-Man fans were harmed in the making of this comic.

The MAD Magazine tribute is perfectly done, down the the Chuckle-Out-Softly reaction their humor causes. Beautiful work.

4 Likes

I am offended by Bolling’s continued misrepresentation of Clod-Man by his parody, God-Man. My very soul is wounded, as though Bolling had insulted my idiot brother (who, by the way, should never have invested in that condo in the Everglades). I won’t be responsible for anything that happens to Bolling in the near future, even if it’s my hand Clod-Man guides to strike down the parodist.

5 Likes

It’s a great conflation of two satirical comics publications.

THIS INK AND PAPER IS A GRAVE THREAT TO OUR HERO WHO HAS ABSOLUTE CONTROL OVER THE ENTIRE SPACE-TIME CONTINUUM!

What a perfect encapsulation of the cognitive dissonance involved in crusades against blasphemy.

23 Likes

They can both expect to hear from the legal team of French actor Claude Mann.

8 Likes

CHUCK magazine? More like UP-CHUCK magazine! They haven’t been funny since [exactly ten years after I started reading].

7 Likes

Do you think the Muslims will be fooled by this thin veil of Christianity drawn over criticism of Muslim extremists in the Charlie Hebdo attack? They won’t, Mister Dancing Bug, they won’t.

Well, not to be pedantic here, but Muslims don’t claim Muhammad was god (he’s “the Prophet”), so the line about “this ink and paper is a grave threat to our hero who has absolute control over time and space” is misplaced with regards to the Charlie Hebdo attack.

That said, any religion that insists you can’t make fun of it clearly has an ego problem, like maybe deep down they know they aren’t the One True Faith, and so rules against blasphemy are needed to keep that fact hidden and keep the believers in line (and that seems to include most religions.)

5 Likes

To be more in line with C.Hebdo, shouldn’t he be masturbating on the cover?

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s a question of making fun, but not putting emphasis on images before words.
Sort of like, how Protestants don’t have Christ on the crucifix (he’s risen, duh), while Catholics do (it’s about his suffering).

2 Likes

The protruding tongue was a nice touch.

1 Like

To add a bit more depth to your comment it should be noted that the reactive mechanism is related to the culture that religious adherents are in.

2 Likes

Oh, I see how it is.

My favorite is still National Lampoon’s “Son-O-God” comics. But this is still a timelier sort of crazy.

Zen Buddhism. One of the Zen stories is of the famous preacher who visits a monastery and is invited to give a sermon. He gets up in the pulpit and announces “What are the perfected people who have attained enlightenment? They are full of shit!”

3 Likes

Kill the Buddha!

1 Like

I find it interesting that Jesus warned about false prophets, because the established churches deviate so much from his teachings. I have wondered if, during the years that the NT doesn’t talk about, Jesus was influenced by Buddhists, or Hindus with Buddhist leanings. It would explain some of his teachings.

1 Like

Indeed, it would be blasphemy to make any such claim. For the Wahabis, identifying Mohammed with God would be as bad as making pictures of him.