Top Gear team moves to Amazon

1 Like

Mallard, old 4468.
My grandfather, who worked for the LNER, told me that after Mallard established the world steam train speed record in the 1930s, it took 3 weeks to get the track back in full repair.
Nobody learned anything. The steam enthusiasts managed to build Evening Star to “compete” with Diesels. After they demonstrated it hauling freight at top speed, it took 6 weeks to restore the track section.
It was magnificent in its way but utterly impractical. The Navy, remember, was already on oil fueled steam turbines by WW1. Doing really stupid things with machinery may be the British Way, but when we need to defeat Johnny Foreigner we do tend to stop messing about and get down to business.

2 Likes

I have a great photo of me sat in the driver’s seat of the Mallard

2 Likes

not to derail even more, but though i like trains i was dubious about the museum. till i walked in. it hit me like a ton of coal (no, seriously). and i loooved the queens trains (and didn’t george have one in there as well?).

back to Prime Gear. They better have a crossover:

Prime Gear: Top Fury

Seperated at birth:

@mindysan33, i made these for you.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen the Mallard for a while, but I saw the Sir Nigel Gresley in steam this June (holidays with my dad always seem to be within walking distance of preserved railways).

1 Like

I was gutted that I didn’t get time to go down and see the Great Gathering last year with all the surviving A4s

1 Like

Now that is a well-worn reverser.

Cause you rule!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.