Toronto Mayor Rob Ford curses in a jafaican accent when he's loaded

Sorry, people died in Toronto due too the ice storm? Could you source that as it is news to me.

I’m not against your statements I just never heard of people dying due too cold or poisoning gas.

Here’s a CBC story on it, at least 2 people died and several others hospitalized from CO poisoning. The deaths were the result of a generator running the garage where fumes leaked into the house. Others who were hospitalized were from bringing BBQs or camping stoves into people’s houses to stay warm.

And while Mayor Ford smuggly said he was taking his family too a hotel too wait out the power outage. Christ what an asshole. I was not aware of this fact. Thank you for sharing.

"the events depicted in it were his “my personal life, with my personal friends, that’s up to me. This really has nothing to do with you guys.”

So. . . is this a tacit admission that the crack-smoking was part of his mayoral duties?

You must not live somewhere terribly cold. It happens every winter, more often than not to the elderly (can’t really feel the cold) and the impoverished (couldn’t pay the gas/electric bill). Really, it’s no different than what happens in the summer if temperatures get too high.

Awww, me tink him jas channeling da Ali G spirit or sometin innit?

1 Like

Huh?

Since you asked, here’s the first hit I found by Googling “Toronto deaths cold”.

The massive Dec. 22 ice storm that crippled Toronto for days, leaving 300,000 hydro customers without power for varying periods of time, also caused the death of a homeless man. […]

Patricia Anderson of the city’s Shelter, Housing and Support department couldn’t provide statistics of the number of deaths in 2013 and 2014 to date on homeless deaths due to cold weather over the weekend. However, she pointed out there have been 139 reported deaths of shelter residents since 2007 — 59 of which took place last year.

As for CO2, here’s the third link from that same (not complicated) Google search:

Officials are warning residents of storm-hit cities and towns to use caution when trying to keep warm as five people have been reported dead due to carbon monoxide poisoning in Ontario and Quebec.

In Toronto alone Monday night, 11 people were taken to hospital with signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and two people died in the town of Newcastle, east of Toronto, after trying to keep warm with a gas generator in the garage.

Police in Quebec say carbon monoxide poisoning is believed to be the cause of three deaths in a chalet on the province’s North Shore.

But… honestly? You’ve never heard of people dying due to cold? It’s a pretty common occurrence in cities, especially ones that don’t do a good job with their homeless or below-poverty-line populations.

Ford doesn’t hold lives in his hands. He got to wear a paper crown. His powers were stripped and instead of anyone thinking maybe the position is not important as we like to think it is, they still pretend it matters.

The kicker for me is the other contender for the paper crown also ingested hard drugs – and screwed up as a provincial cabinet minister. Toronto can play make pretend that all would have been so much better if the Other Guy would have won, but it’s a comforting delusion.

I know people want to drink overpriced lattes and brag that their brats won Miss Small Potatoes at the county fair as fake laughter is cued in, but you have a broken system that attracts the same kind of people who keep failing upwards from both the Left and the Right. Neither side can have virtuous airs in the matter…

1 Like

Took me a moment to recognize that he (Ford) was the person who was speaking. He appears to be somewhat beyond drunk and well into the “shitfaced” area.

This would’ve been the perfect moment for a Ford opponent’s “Ima let you finish, but…”

I don’t know, does Toronto qualify as “terribly cold?”
But you must not live somewhere with national- or provincial-level emergency resources. Not declaring a state of emergency when municipal emergency response proves insufficient most definitely does cost additional lives. Next thing you’ll be telling me is that hospitals don’t save lives since people eventually die anyway.

Here, have a link.

The relevant bit:
“[…]though Ford gets to keep the power to declare an emergency and declare the emergency over.”

And a biased link to boot. Thank you so much for that.

If the regime in Toronto wanted action, they could work around it just as they played strip away in taking away Ford’s so-called powers, but then, how else could they deflect attention away from their own incompetence without a handy and loud Homer Simpson-esque scapegoat to blame?

Some of us just aren’t that naive to fall for those games charlatans love to play.

That mysterious keepers called Somebody Else do not exist. Personal responsibility goes a long way. People around the world survive wars and REAL natural disasters and Hogtown crumbles with a little ice storm? Tsk tsk, how shameful!

Before I forget, if we are sharing links, I have a nicer one I made all by myself with love, truth, and lots of experience and critical thinking…

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebook/don-t-believe-it-how-manipulators-shape-the-news

Let’s hope you never grow old, develop a mental illness, or incur any other disability that might make you more susceptible to extreme temperatures.

3 Likes

I live in a northern-tier US state currently being run by sadists who call themselves Republicans. So, no, helping poor and elderly people not freeze to death isn’t a priority to the so-called leadership in these parts. We have to let people die when it’s too hot or too cold because FREEDOM.

Is -11C terribly cold? You tell me. I think it’s pretty darned cold, but it’s even colder where I am (-16C). Normal high temp in both locations for 24 January is -3C. Sounds more dramatic in Fahrenheit; current temp 3F (probably isn’t going to get any warmer, either), normal 26F.

Waitwaitwait… The Toronto Star, a major news outlet, is a biased link? I think we’re done here. I won’t even bother pointing out the slew of logical fallacies you’ve managed to fit into a single post. I’m not sure whether you’re a Ford fancritter or a garden variety conspiracy nut, but figuring out the answer just isn’t worth my time.

I grew up in a city that routinely saw -35C in the winter and I personally remember seeing (well, feeling) -40C. But don’t you think that the low temp e-peen measuring discussion is rather irrelevant? We’re talking about the temperature in Toronto, and whether that low temperature is killing people in addition to ones who would have died under non-emergency conditions. According to news reports, it is. My position is that Ford’s unwillingness to declare a state of emergency – not because of the cold but because of the regular city services’ failure to protect the residents from it – has contributed to this increase in the deaths. Do you disagree with this statement?

Ha, that is the problem when you try to jab a stranger without knowing their circumstances. Sometimes you miss it by a mile.

You see, I look after a disabled relative full-time who is helpless with no outside assistance. I know just about every angle up close and personal, and your take does not pass muster.

If someone in the house does not respect machinery, that is not any mayor’s fault. Bad things happen because sometimes they do. Kids stick metal in a socket and die. Not the mayor’s fault. Sometimes someone falls asleep with a cigarette and burns down the house. Not the mayor’s fault.

Really, what happened to the adults? Has Madison Avenue infantilized the whole world?

“You see, I look after a disabled relative full-time who is helpless with no outside assistance. I know just about every angle up close and personal, and your take does not pass muster.”

This is the internet. Here, I look after five disabled relatives and a one-legged cow. Now please stop extrapolating from personal experiences to the general state of a multi-million-resident city.

4 Likes

Why, because a real-life fact got in the way of a false assumption? Is that how the ersatz urbane deal with life? That 2.6 million people cannot go up against ONE man tells me those 2.6 million people are in a sorry state.

I have placed my real name and what I say is true and verifiable. You can choose to ignore and dismiss whatever you like, reality is not going to change because it is inconvenient.

But you make me laugh: one anecdote is fact, but the one that works against your theory is not?

Nice try, but I am not buying anyone’s propaganda. I have heard empty self-serving words for too long to have any respect for them…

The lows where I grew up match yours, so what? That’s not what I posted. I posted today’s temperature in Toronto, which happens to be a bit warmer than here, and pointed out that the normal high is the same there as here. And it’s quite a bit colder than normal.

Given that Canada is generally much more humane to its most vulnerable citizens than the US is, yes, Mayor Laughingstock should be declaring whatever he has to in order to be doing the utmost to prevent weather-related deaths. If this has been happening these last few weeks, I wouldn’t know because people get fucking shot dead here every fucking day, so weather related deaths in Toronto simply do not make it to the news stream.

Where in Toronto is Madison Avenue?

2 Likes