Tsukunejima: A Fantastic Dining Experience in Hiroshima

[Permalink]

3 Likes

Cup of tea (with something roasted)

Probably gen-mai cha. Green tea with toasted and puffed rice.

2 Likes

Hey Tom.

Just want to let you know that it seems a " at the end of the link to Field Trip app that makes it go to a broken page. Otherwise, fantastic article. I highly enjoyed it and the writing was phenomenal.

2 Likes

The great BB has fixed it! Cheers for the heads up!

1 Like

Everything about your meal sounds great, thank you for posting!

1 Like

I spent seven years in Japan and some of my favorite places to eat were the nondescript ones like this. Thanks for the bittersweet reminder of those times.

2 Likes

Congrats to your kids on being such adventurous eaters!

1 Like

Yes, I think that was it. Thanks!

Thanks so much! Iā€™m really glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for pointing out the bad link; I had the code wrong in the original markdown. Whoops.

Our oldest will eat anything. Well, sheā€™ll try anything. The youngest, not so much, so we were really surprised how much she liked this food. And what she didnā€™t eat was more for her parents.

1 Like

Maybe also mugicha http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roasted_barley_tea

The white fish definitely has a name in english, the problem is that identical fish types are called different things in different parts of the word, even between english-speaking countries.

Shiso is fucking delicious. At higher-end sushi shops in the west (and any sushi shop in Japan) they often serve sushi with it as a garnish (it has to be a sushi place run by Japanese though, Iā€™ve never seen it in a non-Japanese sushi shop - tons of sushi shops are run by Koreans in Oz). The beauty of Japanese food is that all the decorative elements are usually edible and usually delicious (unlike parsley). If you see green leafy stuff on a sushi (or very frequently sashimi) plate then eat it and be amazed. Itā€™s not going to be anything other than shiso.

Cooking chopsticks are an extremely useful cooking tool (especially for stir-frys) because you can both mix things and pick things up easily with one hand. You can get them at pretty much any asian grocer in the pots/pans/utensils section.

The reason the tempura oil is delicious is because it was likely sesame oil and, unlike deep fryers, the oil must be clean (i.e. they pour new oil every day) for tempura to work.
http://www.g-chef.com/english/articles/tempura.html

The little tray of snacky stuff (exclusing dipping sauce) is known as an Otōshi (equivalent to an appetiser)

Finally you usually canā€™t make bookings for places like theseā€¦ you just rock up and wait if thereā€™s no seats, or keep walking and find the next delicious place.

4 Likes

But I didnā€™t expect to stumble upon one of the best restaurants Iā€™ve ever eaten at

In the country with the most Michelin stars I think thatā€™s probably one of the things Iā€™d expect most :smile:

Japan also has some of the best Italian and French food in the world.

2 Likes

Not pure sesame oil? It has a strong flavor, a little bit goes a long way.

From other reviews, it sounds like theyā€™re known for pressing their own sesame oil rather than use straight commercial oil, which is an amazing commitment to quality.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure, but Iā€™ve read pure sesame oilā€¦ I cooked it at home once years ago and I donā€™t recall what we used but itā€™s more like a shallow-fry type deal, rather than dunking them in a vat (and itā€™s a very short cooking time per item)

Nungesserā€™s suggestion would probably explain it too. The other thing is that such ingredients in western countries are often made in China, or based on Chinese product. In Japan they have the most obscene attention to quality and variety of product options.

All I know is, here in the states it comes in a little 6-oz bottle. It would take 49 bottles to fill a deep-fryer. When I cook asian, which is about once a month, I add about 1/2 teaspoon to flavor a whole meal.

Donā€™t quote me on this, but I think the difference is between refined sesame oil (the cheap stuff used for frying) and virgin/unrefined sesame oil (the kind used for drizzling on food, often from smoked sesame seeds). You can get big jugs of the refined stuff for pretty cheap, and itā€™s typically filtered and re-used in restaurants.

1 Like

Dude, you could be rightā€¦ These two pages are from pretty reliable sources - NHK (Japanese tv) and Aichi Prefectureā€™s local news site and they both say vegetable oil. Iā€™ve read sesame oil and ā€˜frying oilā€™ (whatever that is) but these pages are reliable sources so like most things I guess thereā€™s many ways to skin an ebi.

http://www2.aia.pref.aichi.jp/voice/no9/9_tasty_treat.html

1 Like

Dang. Too late. Sorry.

Maybe itā€™s the mysterious kind they use at McDonalds?

1 Like

Great information, thanks! I agree, shiso was fantastic. Iā€™ve donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen it before (or at least not knowing what it was), but Iā€™ll keep an eye out for it now.

Later on we took a cooking class and part of the price of admission was a set of cooking chopsticks. Weā€™ve been carrying them with us and using them whenever we cook now.

2 Likes