Two Siberian Husky dogs having a conversation through a cat flap door

[Permalink]

Part of me feels bad that they’re being prevented from playing together. The other part of me wonders when the tentacles will emerge from the dog in the door.

5 Likes

+1
“Keep watching the sky!”

1 Like

I’m not sure what they’re saying, but my dog who’s sitting next to me, seems to think there was some bad language involved. She’s definitely not amused by the audio.

2 Likes

Yeah, they didn’t really seem to be very pleased with each other…

Presumably they’re being separated because they’re being acclimated to each other.

When two dogs meet for the first time, especially big energetic breeds, the last thing you want is for them to just have face to face contact, as that can explode into an actual fight real quick. Now, not all dogs need to be introduced to each other, but certainly some do, and there are a variety of ways to go about it.

The method I prefer is to have two handlers with leashes and a willingness to physically hold and restrain the animals, one for each dog, and a large open space to work with. You bring one dog each to either side of the area, and you let them eye each other from a distance. Then the handlers lead the dogs in a circle around the center of the area, so the dogs swap places and a get a chance to smell each other indirectly. Repeat the process, slowly allowing the dogs to come closer together. Eventually, halt one dog and let the other come up behind and sniff, then vice versa. At that point, they’re typically pretty close to being okay with each other, but you gotta stay vigilant through to the end.

Of course, the cat flap is pretty ingenious. It gives the dogs a means to interact, smelling and vocalizing and even seeing one another, but they can’t really get at each other in a way that could hurt anything while they get used to one another. Much less work.

Of course, it could be something else entirely. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

That strikes me as very dangerous for the dog if he manages to get his ‘mostly through the door’ and gets stuck.

Dangerous how?

Let’s assume worst case scenario here, and the dog gets stuck. What then? Well, then you get the dog unstuck. Dogs are pretty good about not getting themselves into situations they can’t eventually get themselves out of, but even when it does happen, that’s what people are there for. The owner will get the dog loose eventually, even if it takes a bit to manage it.

It’s not like the dog will be hurt simply by being stuck in the cat flap. Pinched maybe, if they really jammed themselves in there somehow, definitely uncomfortable, but not seriously harmed. As long as you keep the animal relatively calm and work patiently to free them, they’ll come away with nothing worse than a bit of discomfort and maybe a hesistancy to go near the cat flap any time soon. Dogs are pretty sturdy critters, after all.

Absolute worst that’s gonna happen? You have to use some tools and destroy part of the door to free the animal, and it becomes somewhat traumatized or claustrophobic because of the experience. Meanwhile, the dog’s more likely to drown at the pool or by the beach. (And most large dogs are strong swimmers, and it’s pretty seldom that they drown that way.)

2 Likes

Dang. With cats, you just throw’em in the hamper and see what happens.

7 Likes

Well, if they are being acclimated, the one with the stuck head would be at a pretty big disadvantage in the negotiation of their new relationship.

2 Likes

The hamper? That’s what I’ve been doing wrong. I’ve been throwing them in the laundry dryer rather than the laundry hamper… doh!

4 Likes

Well, at least it wasn’t wasted on a cat.

The elevator music adds a nice surreal JC Pennyish background.

3 Likes

You, and the inventor of cat flaps, will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

1 Like

The indoor dog acted pretty playful and even submissive to the dog in the cat door. At the end of the video the outside dog was a lot more relaxed. Have the two dogs met physically without the barrier of the door between them? We don’t know but Glitch’s technique would give the handlers a much better way to observe and predict what will happen when they finally meet for real. For all we know there was a handler with a leash on the outside dog anyway in case the dog did get too aggressive (and possible stuck). Also, we all know how dogs introduce themselves to each other and it’s under their tails. The cat door should be raised :wink:

2 Likes

“Sorry, you’re sleeping in the doghouse tonight.”

My interpretation:

The dog-flap dog has been exiled to the deck for some reason; he’s stuck his snout through the cat door as a way of being part of the family scene. He may not be physically comfortable, but he’s able to keep track of what is going on. That is important to a dog.

Indoor dog wants to play. He can see his buddy,and is frustrated that he doesn’t seem to want to come in to play.

1 Like

It’s a little late and this is gruesome story. I once helped a fried bury a dog who got his head stuck in the floor vents. The dog was in a pen that had access to underneath the house. The Kitchen had a hole in a the floor awaiting installation of venting.

He stuck his head up got stuck and died…head in kitchen body hanging in the crawspace under the house. No one was home at the time so the dog must have just panicked and made things worse for himself.

Sir Isaac Newton?

An animal trapped by itself is of course in danger. Just like an animal left alone in a car, or anywhere else.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.