Tyler Capps: Boing Boing Wake Up Cake recipe!

[Permalink]

1 Like

I am SO freaking totally going to make this!

1 Like

Suggestions:

• Use a food processor if you have one instead of a mixer - no lumps.

• Toss the cream cheese packets in your pre-heating oven for a few minutes. (Take them outta the boxes first, but leave in the foil). Much easier to
    get smooth batter when the cream cheese is very soft.

• Sift together the flour and sugar, then beat together w/ the cream cheese.

• Use a Pyrex cup to melt the chocolate chips for the topping; add enough heavy cream to the chips before microwaving to almost cover. This is a quickie ganache.

1 Like

Why do you give the amount of flour in cups (spoons!) and other weird units? One cup of flour contains very different weight of flour depending on how much it is packed into the cup. I know, I tried to make “Lahey bread” recipe and couldn’t make the dough right - the weight of the flour varies too much depending on how you fill the cup. I actually tried to measure it. I even watched the video to see how they filled the cup. Didn’t help.

I would expect that the proffessionals would use more sensible units … sigh. At the very least, please, pretty please, use pounds or ounces or whatevers that can be reliably converted to grams.

That’s how we do cookin’-measures in a land that loves FREEDOM and JESUS!

Taint’ only one flour that counts, WHITE FLOUR!

You take your milleters and kilospans and give 'em to hitler, who invented them to cause communism!!!

But seriously. Except for big solid things, like chunks of meat and mass quantities of vegetables (before processing), cooking measures in the U.S. are by volume.

The tricky bit are the spoons, and spoons-to-cup measures. Teaspoon, tablespoon, etcetera.

I have a refrigerator magnet, a promo gift from a Chinese restaurant, that provides conversions. Wonderful tool.

2 Likes

Of course, being a non-coffee drinker, I’m gonna figure out how to make a Sleepy-Time Tea cake.

Oooooh, that sounds like it could be a great tool for mayhem!

[quote=“stefanjones, post:5, topic:14850, full:true”]But seriously. Except for big solid things, like chunks of meat and mass quantities of vegetables (before processing), cooking measures in the U.S. are by volume. [/quote]I noticed that the butter is measured in tbspoons.
What kind of tbspoons? I can understand sirup being measured by a spoon, but how do you do that with butter? At the very least the density of the butter doesn’t change depending of how you mesure it, unlike flour.

[quote=“stefanjones, post:5, topic:14850, full:true”]
The tricky bit are the spoons, and spoons-to-cup measures. Teaspoon, tablespoon, etcetera.[/quote]Yes … cups. There is Metric cup, USA customary cup, USA legal cup, imperial cup, Japanese cup and a few others :wink:

Quote from Wikipedia Measuring cup - Wikipedia

For example, 1 cup of all-purpose flour sifted into a cup and leveled weighs about 100 grams, whereas 1 cup of all-purpose flour scooped from its container and leveled weighs about 140 grams.

On the side of the butter packaging, there are actually Tbsp measurements, but they never line up properly, so basically it’s an estimation. :-p

I rely on the package markings for measuring tablespoons of butter.

For margarine, I have a nice slick metal scoop-shaped tablespoon. Easy to level, and can be cleaned out with a finger.

American recipes assume a standard 8 oz. cup. I could certainly see confusion and disasterous results stemming from using recipes from overseas which have different assumptions.

FWIW, my Pyrex measuring cup has a milliliter scale on one side, and I have a digital scale I could press into service for kitchen use.

1 Like

Nice. Yeah I use the package measurements too, but if the recipe calls for a small amount, I cut in the middle. The offset on the packaging is so frequently off. But really, what I found was a tiny bit more doesn’t make a big difference anyway.

nowhere near enough caffeine to get my attention. Looks good tho

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.