U.S. Embassy employee filmed in a road rage incident in Malta

Here you see in microcosm why the rest of the world despises America.

That… and melting the flesh off of people with phosphorus while telling the world how evil the use of sarin gas in Syria is.

8 Likes

2 Likes

Your silver minivan is blocking my silver minivan!
Maltese standoff.

6 Likes

I was waiting for someone to use the term “Maltese standoff” thank you. I hope it becomes a thing.

1 Like

How about “the man with the golden voice” from a couple years ago?

1 Like

Not random, and even greater improvement!

I’m going to suggest when the shit happens citizens are legally allowed to punch him when he gets back state-side…

He’s being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

2 Likes

sigh That’s another step up, isn’t it?

The bar is set so low we need an excavator to get under it.

Staged. Nothing more to say. FFS!

Who is at fault here? Is the street ‘one way’ and the other guy didn’t know or back up?
The shouting dude seemed to have an issue about the laws and the other guy, and eventually put his car in reverse and solved the problem after giving a shout down to the other driver.

Why?

Some of those small streets are ‘one way’ and people get stuck in them without knowing they’re clogging the streets.

At the end of the vid the shout guy, backs up and lets Dumbass pass.

Why on BoingBoing do we as a community assume Americans are at fault for every little thing.

Because frankly, we (Americans) can be blamed for many things: And this isn’t one of them.

Can’t. The dastardly villains are hiding out in some foreign country instead of coming to 'merica to face justice.

2 Likes

Exactly. Since the Maltese guy had a block full of cars stuck behind him and the American had no one behind him, I’d put good money that the locals were going in the correct direction and that the undiplomatic diplomat had turned in the wrong way.

4 Likes

It would not surprise me if Malta is Not Exactly the jewel of the state department’s postings abroad. Now the fact that it’s apparently filled by a loutish shithead who can’t even keep his emotions under control is even less impressive than it being used as a sinecure for some incompetent-but-reasonably-charming schmoozer who needs a job; but I’d be inclined to suspect that it isn’t a post that gets the finest material the state department has to work with…

Not that I think this guy is in the right (like yelling solves any problem) but you got to be absolutely nuts to drive in Malta. When I was there a few years back, I rode exclusively in the public transit and in the first day I was there the vehicle I was in was in 2 collisions. One of the collisions involved the bus driving into a guy on a motorcycle (he survived) and the other had the bus massively rear ending the car in front of us at a stop light. After that I mostly walked (it isn’t that big of an island). The traffic aside, Malta is a pretty interesting place and I enjoyed my time there.

2 Likes

I’m going to venture the following: this is a steroid-assisted rage*, and the “embassy employee” is not on the diplomatic staff, but rather the security staff (often ex-military) there. Considering the verbal abuse directed at Malta and the Maltese, it may also be the case that the embassy is hosting a military team or individual en route to a mission somewhere in or around the Med.

*steroid and amphetamine use said to be not uncommon amongst certain elements in the military.

Bonus cocktail fact: Maltese is the only language with geminate Xes - though it’s essentially Arabic, it uses the Roman alphabet (as does English).

Quick! Someone Call James Cameron Cameron!

1 Like

Malta is a tiny island in the Mediterranean. How many diplomatic staff do we have there? THis guy was probably sent there because he had anger issues and they thought a soft job with lots of beach time would do him some good.

Wouldn’t it just be more efficient to have an office in an Italian airport where folks with lost passports could be delivered, rather than this system of every island nation having a diplomatic staff?

It was Yossarian, in town for the weekend looking for that nice Italian girl.

5 Likes

Yeah, because when most of us have issues the first option is a cushy government job where we have diplomatic immunity at a vacation spot.

Oh, wait, no. . . most of us end up poor or homeless!

At the least, they can not send the worst of us abroad as ambassadors. . . that’s just . . dumb!