UK proposes life sentences for "hackers"

[Permalink]

This from the people who have infiltrated every network they could and stolen every bit of data they found, and compromised all of our safety by doing so… The irony actually hurts…

3 Likes

FTL: “ensure sentences for attacks (on computer systems) fully reflect the damage they cause”.

I’m OK with this only if the same standard gets applied to Tony Blair. And Bush. And Obama.

Bastards all.

4 Likes

What about also sentencing the managers who skimped on testing, did not want to pay for redundant systems, were too cheap to have a robust, non-brittle infrastructure? Will they go to jail as well, or will they be allowed to walk away, pockets full of bonuses for the profits they got by cutting costs where they should not be cut?

When will we get the world where robust infrastructure with enough spare capacities and not prone to cascade failures is more important than short-term corporate profit? Where sanity checks are built in, checks that would catch not only intentional disruption but also miscommunications and typos? Redundancy in place to absorb not only the fallout of SCADA attacks but also bad weather and material fatigue and “natural” comm network failures?

3 Likes

I’d expand that to include any lawmaker who sponsors, supports, or signs any law which ends up being misused or used in any way which was not explicitly spelled out, in plain, unambiguous language beforehand.

The halls of politics would be wonderfully empty, at least for a while.

They are sooo much afraid of us. Where is lack of knowledge, there is allways fear… And when they are afraid of us, that means we have power over them. just think about it. WE have power. Right now. So what we are waiting for ?

I don’t know either. Christmas, maybe?

Edit. A leader it is. We’re waiting for a charismatic leader to unite the bickering masses so they could overthrow the existing regime and install a new one, which then can quickly degrade into oppressive autocracy as the good sounding simple solutions he talked about turn out to fail after fielding. Now, how to prevent that outcome is an open question.

Oh, what a wonderful sight! I’d actually pay money to see that. We can dream, can we?

On a more serious note, holding the politicos to the same professional standards as e.g. engineers, including personal responsibility for bad results from lousy work, would be more than beneficial.

Now, how can we achieve that? Maybe camping outside the Parliaments (worldwide effort!) with torches and pitchforks and not leaving until this gets coded in a constitutional amendment? (…we can dream, can we?)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.