Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

Watched a couple of films I’ve been looking forward to in the last couple of days;

Crimson Peak, which was mismarketed, and a more interesting film than I’d feared, I do love me some Guillermo Del Toro

Black Mass, which was okay, but really just a mediocre film set up to try to win Johnny Depp an Oscar (aside: I seem to be seeing Corey Stoll and Juno Temple everywhere these days)

4 Likes

Both of those films were so boring! Like paint by numbers plot and narrative. Seriously. How could Crimson Peak be so boring! And Black Mass… i know its a “true story” but c’mon… so boring…

2 Likes

I initially avoided Crimson Peak because it was so poorly marketed, the trailer was awful. I do like Del Toro’s Spanish language films more than his English ones, and no Ron Perlman, boo.

4 Likes

I had such high hopes for this film;

http://www.rarefilmm.com/2014/09/rififi-tokyo-1963.html <-- contains download link for film

I suppose I was looking for something along the lines of

But some Auguste Le Breton novels make for better films than others…

1 Like

At least that Pacino remake never happened.

1 Like

Yeah. I mean, it wasn’t bad-- just not up there with Bob le Flambeur, Le Cercle Rouge, and other films that transcend the genre.

Anyway, I just got home from this:

Jane Austen without the mushy romantic parts… I loved it.

2 Likes

Because of today’s google doodle
If you have not seen The Adeventures Of Prince Achmed you are missing out.
Since that is apparently not public domain… Here is Cinderella.

3 Likes

Oh god, watched We Need to Talk About Kevin last night… Talk about a punch to the stomach! Tilda Swinton was great, but Ezra Miller shined in that film…

4 Likes

Speak of the devil, it’s been in my queue.

I just returned Roadkill, which was amateurish but in a charming way. Not a great movie by any stretch but pushes all the right buttons for atmosphere and indie quirkiness and the soundtrack is fantastic (of course your taste may vary).

2 Likes

MrsTobinL likes that one I haven’t seen it yet myself but I am familiar with some of the soundtrack. If you haven’t see Highway 61 I can heartily recommend that one. Same director and main actors.

2 Likes

W00t!

7 Likes

Oh goody.

Mel Gibson is working on a sequel to The Passion of the Christ

I wonder how they’ll write around the lead character dying at the end of the first one?

10 Likes

It was all a dream?

5 Likes

Why? And who is giving that loon money for this?

1 Like

The previous one made a fuckton of money though, didn’t it? Admittedly, Gibson wasn’t so toxic back then, but I bet he still has a lot of cachet amongst the people that went to watch it.

2 Likes

That one was done by Scorsese.

2 Likes

Well then, perhaps he can follow Scorsese’s lead by tackling other religions, as Scorsese did in Kundun. The sequel can be based around the teachings of the Process Church of the Final Judgement, which revered Jesus, Lucifer, Jehovah, and Satan.

And George Clinton can do the soundtrack!!!

3 Likes

I used to read Word-Up magazine?

2 Likes

Or did he…

I’m no video wizard, or I would whip up a trailer. Imagine the gnarliest monster truck rally voice: “Just when you thought it was safe to back to Judea…”

(menacing voice with Creature Feature font on screen):“HE IS RISEN”

(dissonant orchestral music, prominent trumpet above it as giant alien weapon of some sort descends from earth orbit):
“For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.” (weapon goes off loudly, zombies pile out of cemetaries)

(kick-ass rock music kicks in, voice gets extra dramatic): “Then we who are alive… who are left… will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air” (as fighter jets and alien spacecraft scream by in a massive ariel melee)

Doesn’t even need to make sense, it’ll make boodles. Really, why should Gibson let the protestants keep all that sweet, sweet, Left Behind cash?

3 Likes

So good. OMG. That movie sneaks up on you… i cant hear a jackhammer without thinking of that movie… so so so good. ( have you seen Room?)

2 Likes