United nearly kills shipped dog, refuses to pay vet bills without NDA

But who would respond to the sensor to change the conditions?

“Take her in the cabin with you.”

So, back in the day when I had only one cat, I did this a few times when I traveled home from Colorado to Indiana.

Problem 1: The time I found out, once I was in Chicago, that the last leg of my flight was going to be on a little regional “puddle jumper” with the teeny tiny seats, and her plastic kennel wouldn’t fit under them. Their solution? Have me carry her to plane-side, and stick her in the cargo hold with the luggage. Would it be heated? Eh, kinda. Pressurized? Oh sure (they said unconvincingly). What was I supposed to do, hold a one-person strike in the airport demanding a different plane? Buy another whole ticket on another airline?

Problem 2: On the return, I got my bag and my cat all packed up and my folks dropped me at the airport. At which point, the airline refused to allow me to check in for my flight, because there were already “too many” animals traveling in the cabin (how many is too many? they wouldn’t say), and it was too cold outside for them to transport her to the baggage compartment (heated! pressurized! we swear!) because the luggage train “might sit around on the runway for a while.” So now I was stuck at the airport (in the pre-cell-phone age), no way to leave, no way to get back home, implacable airline refusing to help me come up with a solution.

I guess in either situation, I could have just dumped her outside the airport to Live Free or Die.

2 Likes

Nailed it. Now that it’s known how airlines will methodically and nonchalantly fuck everything up, there is no excuse.

Or this: a bit over a decade ago, a friend with two cats had a transatlantic move, from Spain to Mexico. She bought 3 tickets, gave her pets some vet-prescribed tranquilizers, took the aisle seat for herself and put cage on the center and window seats. It was her last resort, even back then she did not trust the airline handling her loved ones.

That was before the catch-all slogan became “Because 9/11”, I don’t know if the current dehumanized and dehumanizing airline zeitgeist permits such an arrangement. Maybe a good rule of thumb could be: “Never allow your pet to be handled in a way you would not allow for your human child.” In this case, it’s abysmal segregation.

1 Like

(Sorry, I understand you want to keep your dogs safe, but understand that carrying antihistamines isn’t always enough to keep other passengers safe. Some of us are allergic to both dog dander and common antihistamines such as benedryl.)

I think that may be a Kickstarter-worthy idea.

I’ve come to the conclusion, from many stories like this, that if I move cross-country or overseas anytime soon, it’s going to be problematic. I won’t put my dog in storage, and he’s small enough to crate and take on board with me, but…he’s also a rescue that goes into full-blown panic attacks in a crate. The kind where he will seriously injure himself trying to get out. He also gets anxiety and car-sick on rides. The only solution I can think of is heavy sedation for a plane ride, with very careful monitoring.

Now a days you can’t board your pets without a “pet ticket”, has to be pre-arranged.
I saw a phenomenal break down at the airport last xmas with a student flying home with her cat who did not pre-book her cats flight and was told her cat could not fly. Pets need tickets too, now a days anyways.

I wasn’t aware that one could be lethally allergic to pet dander.

4 Likes

I’m sorry? The airline allows my animals in the cabin, the only thing I can do is mitigate the issue for other flyers the best I can. And after the umpteenth story of animals dying or near death in cargo, they will always fly with me in the cabin. Not all airlines allow animals in the cabin, check your airline, ask them if animals are allowed.

1 Like

When I moved cross country I drove… but I was so poor I was unconvinced I would be able to pay my rent when I got there. Is it really that unbearable to take a few days and bring your pert on-board? I realize that while having a car is very common it’s still not something everyone has, but I really hate pets on airplanes. Pets and children.

I wasn’t aware that I had to die, rather than just get sick, before mentioning anything. Yeah. I think under the circumstances, I’d take a few hours of struggling to breathe to spare the dog the harm, but still…

1 Like

Or to another country? I suppose sailing?

I don’t think this pet was under 20 lbs, FWIW.

I had “pet tickets” both ways, bought and paid for. No one mentioned to me that they could just arbitrarily refuse to honor them.

(And the “just drive!” folks miss that 1) not everyone has time to add a 2-3 day drive on either end of their trip, if it’s of any length, 2) not everyone has a car, and 3) you’re more likely to wind up in an accident that hurts and kills YOU on a drive of that length, especially if you’re a solo driver and thus have no one to switch off with when fatigued.)

4 Likes

…and lose children.

1 Like

Check out The Fearful Dogs Blog. The writer is very good at explaining your options (living with a fearful dog) with a 21st century, dog psychology informed, gentle attitude.

1 Like

I suspect the sensors would “magically” get broken in cases like this.

1 Like

I thought big private corporations with lots of lobbying bucks were the government. Sure could’ve fooled me.

2 Likes

Corporations are people.

This pet? The grey hound? No. But the cat this was in response to yes, most cats are under 20lbs.