Unsupervised AI makes up some pretty funny jokes

They just presented this at a serious computational linguistics conference. Take a look at the paper, and you’ll see some fairly sophisticated graphical models math going on. By any reasonable standard, this is novel AI work that real-life AI researchers take seriously.

If this isn’t AI, then what counts as AI for you? Anything?

1 Like

we get Rank OF Likelihood or ROLF.

Should be ROFL.

It’s a neat trick, but the methods are basic statistics which could have easily been a homework assignment.

1 Like

Dyslexia cat visit you today? It is ROFL.

Expert systems are boring.

I was hoping for a Multi-layer perceptron. Something that adjusted its jokes based on audience feedback.

I like my jokes like I like my breaking. Bad.

2 Likes

Who is it?
It’s me, Dave, open up, man, I got the stuff
Who is it?
It’s me, Dave, man, open up, I got the stuff

Who?
It’s, Dave, man, open up, I think the cops saw me comin’ here
Who is it?
It’s, it’s Dave, man, will you open up? I got the stuff with me

Who?
Dave, man, open up
Dave?
Ya, Dave, c’mon, man, open up, I think the cops saw me

Dave’s not here
No, HAL, I’m Dave, HAL
Hey, c’mon, HAL
Who is it?
It’s Dave, man, will you open up? I got the stuff with me

Who?
Dave, HAL, open up
Dave?
Ya, Dave
Dave’s not here

No, HAL, I am Dave, HAL, will you?
C’mon, open up the door, will you?
I got the stuff with me, I think the cops saw me
Who is it?
Oh, what the hell is it c’mon open up the door, it’s Dave

2 Likes

This reminds me of the clever short story by Isaac Asimov, Jokester. It’s a fine little story with a cool twist I won’t spoil. (Be warned : the Wikipedia entry does spoil it!)

Artificial Intelligence is exactly like punching numbers into one of those old-fashioned calculators with gears and a motor in it, and then pressing the 'calculate button, except the gears and the motor have been replaced with wee tiny transistors and whatnot and the button is rendered on a hi-res touch-sensitive capacitance-display.

AI would be: the computer, on its own, reads the net, discovers that humans like humor, discovers the 'I like my x like I like my y' meme, discovers Google n-grams on its own, and (all of this without being told what to do) starts cranking out 'humor' and checking for applause.

Yeah, that’s nice. Have you been reading back issues of Analog again?

1 Like

Well, yes. That’s digital computers for you.

You can reduce it all to an algorithm you could do with a pencil, if you want to stay up all night*.

* for certain, reeeeeaaaallly loooooong definitions of “night”.

1 Like

Yes.

Of course, by homework assignment, I meant a homework assignment that would involve programming a computer to perform a basically routine process. Doing it by hand would be very, very silly.

Americans (which I assume you are) have the strangest attitude toward computers and coding. Almost like anything done that way suddenly becomes magical or deific, and not “merely ivory tower mathematics.” It’s utterly pathological. (I am American, btw.)

I’m not really sure of your point here. My point was that anything a computer can do is NOT magical, and can be done with paper and pencil. You can play DOOM with paper and pencil if you’re patient enough (okay, maybe your grandkids will see the refresh). I was especially annoyed by people who want the computer to be some sort of wibbly-wobbly computey-wimey thing that can parse all of humanity’s knowledge and churn out the singularity and a few new knock-knock jokes before breakfast.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.