Update to the L.A. roadside beating of woman by CHP - settlement

This is an update to the story, “CHP patrolman videoed beating homeless black woman by roadside” located here.

Reported at 10p.m. tonight on KTLA 5, a settlement has been reached in the case.

The woman who was beaten received a $1.5 million award. The lawyer for the woman said the family’s concern was that she would be taken care of for the rest of her life.

Also, the officer involved in the beating (who was alone at the time) has resigned from the CHP. This was included as a condition of the settlement.

The following statement was made by CHP Commissioner Joe Farrow:

“When this incident occurred, I promised that I would look into it and vowed a swift resolution. Today, we have worked constructively to reach a settlement agreement that is satisfactory to all parties involved.

I am thankful to the attorneys representing both sides who worked cooperatively and diligently to resolve this civil lawsuit.

The bulk of the settlement establishes a special needs trust for Ms. Pinnock to provide a mechanism for her long term care. Additionally, Officer Andrew has elected to resign.

I very much appreciate the trust the public has placed in our organization to address this issue and resolve it responsibly.”

9 Likes

I’m glad all parties to the settlement are satisfied. Looking inward at the situation, I am not satisfied. Criminal charges should have been laid on the officer involved. I don’t find it acceptable for the guy to just walk away. If he hadn’t been in possession of a badge at the time of the beating, he’d be in jail for several years. The whole notion of “qualified immunity” needs to be overhauled.

5 Likes

Absolutely!

But at least, in this particular instance, the settlement doesn’t seem to have been structured in a way that precludes criminal prosecution of the assailant.

1 Like

Hard to say from the KTLA write-up. Settlements often include partial to full non-disclose terms.

So true, which makes it clearly obvious they are hush money.

But this other linked article makes it a bit more clear the assailant is not off the hook yet.

If he doesn’t spend at least some time in prison, then justice will not have been served.

Agree with both of you guys. All I know is this: the settlement included a requirement that the officer not keep his job. That was apparently a failsafe to get him off the force. He’d still been sitting around collecting pay.

Your article is from August, but it is still up to the L.A. DA’s office whether or not they’ll pursue criminal charges, and people here (I’m in L.A.) would really still like to see that happen. They haven’t said they’re dropping the case. This was a blatant attack, and it shouldn’t go unpunished. The DA’s portion is a criminal, not civil case, so they don’t need Marlene Pinnock’s (or her family’s) permission to proceed.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 877 days. New replies are no longer allowed.