US Forestry Service wages war on photography in national parks

It also takes a government to break a monopoly. Hello, Standard Oil.

1 Like

You’ll note that I wasn’t actually accusing you of anything. The concern trollies exist (see TrollsOpinion), they aren’t very subtle about what they do, and they don’t need any kind of actual excuse to pile on to any anti-boingboing or anti-Cory-Doctorow discussion. Personally, I think they should go to The Blaze or some other corner of the net where they would feel more comfortable, but going to a site they don’t like and yelling about how much don’t like the site seems to be what they are comfortable with. Whenever CD or the other contributors come under fire, it’s important to note that at least of portion of the fire is being magnified by idiot griefers.

2 Likes

Someone call for a Troll?

Oh, hey Andy! Whats new?

I don’t have a beef with Cory Doctorow, and contrary to popular belief I love BoingBoing, so many wonderful things, and some of the brightest commentators on the intertubes. If I wanted to argue with idiots I would sling mud over at reddit or Slashdot.

P.S. Don’t call me an idiot.

1 Like

Mod note: stop name calling and stay on topic.

That may be true, but saying “Concern driving trollies!!!” out loud doesn’t actually fix the factual problems with this and other of Corey’s posts. I’m against dog-piling and shout downs that prevent rational discourse, be it “concern trollies” or people claiming to shout down “concern trollies”. So, why don’t we talk about the facts of this post. Was Corey’s post factually accurate? Everything else is just so much blather.

This rule is about Wilderness Areas. If the filming doesn’t have anything to do with specific features of the Wilderness Area, then they can use some other forest land.

The filmmaker who did “The Bridge” lied to the NPS in order to get permission to film suicides on the golden gate bridge from park service property. He thought that they would deny the application if he was honest about his creative intentions, and the aftermath from the NPS when they learned the truth seems to indicate that he was correct.

It’s a very good idea to use permit processes to minimize environmental damage, but using them to control public image or artistic content is wrong and prevalent.

2 Likes

You just have to lie. The authorities lie to us all the time so nothing wrong on doing the same to them. In ideal world it would not be good (but then you wouldn’t need to beg for a permit anyway), but we don’t live in an ideal world.

1 Like

Which seem to be a muddle of the need to protect the extra status of wilderness areas versus the clampdown on photography, often (though not always) a fairly non-invasive, non-destructive form of use.

Raising the issue of “Cory always does this” opens the much more straightforward proposition that “the usual suspects never vary from their attempts to grief the site by turning every thread into a personal attack on the poster.”

The Dragon is correct: we should focus on the issues of the article: the status of wilderness land and the need to preserve the civil right to use cameras. The driving trollies has been responded to and we should get back on topic.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.