US will initiate missile strikes on Syria 'as early as Thursday' to 'send a message'

Thanks for saving me the effort.

Oh, so bombing first before we know the bad actor here is somehow not indiscriminate?

Please elucidate, in words my genocide-loving, Assad-revering mind can understand.

Raytheon’s stock is taking a bit of dip, fire away!

3 Likes

Seems like a postcard might’ve been more cost-effective.

1 Like

I detect the old diplomatic logic at work here.

We must do something about this problem.
This is something
Therefore we must do this.

5 Likes

Something must be done. This is something, therefore we must do it.

4 Likes

Oh, i forgot you were the police of the world, US. Top notch work! A war is exactly what we need. Good work!

2 Likes

What a terrible way to argue a point. Are you visiting from Free Republic or Red State, by chance?

and… here we go again… Let’s sacrifice more husbands, fathers, and best friends to shit that they don’t even understand or have anything to do with.

1 Like

Shhh. You’ll blow the whole plan!

Accusing somebody you disagree with of being a freeper is, however, perfectly fair, and not ad-hominem at all.

Back when Snowden was the headline, I was astonished how many people leapt to condemn him. Some of the condemnations were so knee-jerk and unsubstantiated that I had to ask why they were so eager to hate Snowden.

Now I see people rushing to excuse Assad, and assign blame all over the place, and it makes me wonder why they’re so eager to love somebody who, based on the news I read, seems like an absolute monster. Maybe they’re just cooler than me, and have inside information on Assad’s innate goodness and innocence. Maybe it’s the Canadians. Hell if I know.

But I have to say I have a hard time with the idea that the vicious goat-herds gassed themselves just to make the poor army look bad.

1 Like

Who says that we love Assad? Did I tell you that you love the “rebels” and Al Qaeda? Because that is who is fighting against Assad.
The question here is that we don’t even have firm evidence that it was Assad’s forces who used the chemical weapons, and even less that he ordered it. On the contrary, evidence points toward the “rebels”.
Both sides are wrong, and need to show restraint. Both sides have committed crimes against humanity.

Irrelevant. False equivalency. Making a claim of what “many people” said has no relevancy to the discussion at hand, even if they were the same people (which amazingly, you didn’t even try to demonstrate). You are demonstrating a persecution complex. You didn’t agree with criticism in the past and now that your views are being criticized you have decided to connect them and imply that they are related. They aren’t.

No you don’t. Nobody here has said anything of the sort. People are criticizing the justification to go to war and the evidence that was provided. And if you don’t know the difference between your absurd claim and what is actually being argued, then you probably are not in enough of a rational state to hold a discussion on this topic.

No, I didn’t mean to say that. I almost edited my post to say they’re probably not the same people, but I figured I had annoyed people enough already. I definitely don’t feel persecuted; I’m not Syrian. I am just baffled why some people are so quick to condemn the Syrian rebels, just as some totally different people were quick to condemn Snowden. Maybe they know more than I do.

Again, you are making a connection where there is none. Some totally different people condemned Prenda Law. And some other totally different people condemned the treatment of Bradley Manning. And even some other totally different people condemned Amanda Palmer. There are a lot of judgements being made on this forum. Making a connection between them to justify feeling outraged is sort of a silly endeavor.

And as far as ‘they’ knowing more that you do, that is also silly. There isn’t a ‘they’. You are seeing structure in the meta-arguments when none exists. There are just a lot of individuals stating their individual opinions. Honestly, you need to be aware that this style of argument borders on conspiracy theorizing. My recommendation is to take each thread as if it exists in a vacuum and respond to the points as if the arguers made them in good faith (unless proven otherwise).

Even that is something one should consider the likely effects of based on past experience, rather than blindly assuming it would help. But it’s not even relevant here:

The “three days” of strikes would be limited in scope, and aimed at
sending a message to Syria’s President Bashar Assad rather than
degrading his military capabilities, U.S. officials told NBC News.

So that shows my point: people may be interested in doing something, but there doesn’t seem to be much interest in figuring out if what we could do that might actually improve the situation.

1 Like

You think Cyrus is a government distraction? The evil bastards.

1 Like

Seems pretty useless to get into a ‘Nuh-uh’/‘Yes-huh’ match here because it makes it sound like an axiom where if Assad used chems on civilians, then the USA is justified in dropping bombs. Seems like too little, too late to me- I do believe that over a year ago civilians were crying out to the world for help and got none. Now all of a sudden the help they get isn’t evacuation and refuge, or aid, it’s bombs dropped on the country.

1 Like

U.S.has done enough. F’ them and F’their problems. If the people can’t figure out how to topple their own corrupt government then they’ll die. Americans are broke, we’ve lost enough loved ones over crap that matters nothing to us and we no longer care. Enough is enough. Untie Israel’s hands and let them nuke everything around them. Problem solved.

What I want to know is, when was nuking the entire Middle East (and simultaneously The Vatican) into oblivion taken off the table? So many problems solved all at once…

1 Like