Useful $14 drafting set with a beautiful tin

[Permalink]

It does seem to be the most useful thing shown…

Ah, you betray your youth with that comment.

I can recall a few … well, a good many years ago being disappointed in early September that last year’s “geometry set” was still intact and usable, and that I wouldn’t have to buy a new one.

Is this a premium item now? I remember when it was more or less standard issue for schoolchildren in the U.K…

1 Like

All British children own/ed one of these. I think they cost about $5 in the UK.

Indeed, the tin is nice, but I’ve found metal straightedges to be considerably superior to plastic. And compasses which used their own lead as opposed to gripping a pencil tended to be superior as well, albeit slightly inconvenient. At least the compass doesn’t use one of those finncky screw-locking mechanisms. Ah, memories.

2 Likes

Here in America every kid gets one of these:

It is height adjustable and grows with you into adulthood.

2 Likes

So how tall is the bear when the kid reaches adulthood?

3 Likes

Depends on how often and what you feed them.

1 Like

The bear keeps growing, forever feeding on the regrets of your youth.

5 Likes

Imagine what she must of done.

5 Likes

Jason, if you like that tin, you might want to pick up a long-pack of Schimmelpenninck duets.

I keep a set of 20 or so needle files & their handle in mine.

The cigars are pretty good, too.

3 Likes

She’s a model, all they ever eat is the regrets of their youth.

3 Likes

Wow. In America, are the streets really paved with gold?

1 Like

It’s also the most expensive part of the kit, ironically. Nothing shown is worth more than $0.40, retail. The mark-up on nostalgia, however, is obviously enormous…

2 Likes

Flimsy screw? A compass shouldn’t be flimsy-- thats why the arms are secured open with a screw.

“Why, yes, now that you mention it. I just happen to have a protractor right here.”

My ardor for you become ever more acute!

Nah, it’s fake gold leaf re-applied semi-annually. We’re not idiots, you know.

3 Likes

For maths teachers (sorry, math, I’m in the UK where the tin is sold) this is the worst thing a student can buy.
2 set squares and a stencil, none of which they need; a tiny pencil, when they need a decent HB for all their drawing; and a tiny ruler when they need 30cm (12 inches) for most construction work.
In UK exams, they are not allowed the tin, as all equipment must be in a clear pencilcase.
Shops sell it for anywhere between £4 and £10, while at my school for £2 ($3.41) we sell a large pencilcase with everything they do need, and it’s allowed in exams. It’s a fool parent who shells out for this retro rubbish.