Valley girl "upspeak" is a global phenomenon

[Permalink]

1 Like

I always thought this was an Australian thing?

3 Likes

I remember when this song came out and thinking that everyone saying ā€œOmigoshā€ and ā€œGag me with a spoon,ā€ was going to be like, so a trend. But then, weirdly, everyone still says ā€œtotallyā€ and ā€œlikeā€ and a LOT of the stuff she was mocking.

Also, can you imagine some teen making a one hit wonder today and dressing like that with the long sleeves and below knee skirt for her tv performance?

3 Likes

Certainly in the UK where it became noticeable in the late 1980s after the cultural (broadest sense) onslaught of Neighbours and Home and Away on national television.

Anyway, so Iā€™m all likeā€¦ whatever!*

* And we totally talked this rad when I was in middle school in the early mid-80s in Silicon Valley. Andā€¦ ermā€¦ kindaā€¦ still doā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m still trying to make ā€˜fetchā€™ happen.

6 Likes

I grew up on Long Island, and most of my childhood friends still canā€™t get through a sentence without at least one ā€œLikeā€ thrown in randomly

2 Likes

I gave you a ā€œlikeā€ for that.

8 Likes

This is? A really horrible? Thing to have? Caught on? Even some? Insecure guys? Are doing it?

Female fans of the trend were labeled narcissistic and vapid, a perception that Amanda Ritchart and Amalia Arvaniti, two linguists behind a 2013 University of San Diego study of uptalk, set out to debunk.

Iā€™m afraid that theyā€™re not debunking the perception, only the idea that the perception is based on fact. Iā€™m not sure I will ever be able to hear people speak like this without getting the impression that they are a little stupid, even if I know that is irrational. Mark, this wouldnā€™t be a terrible age for your daughters to try acting classes, maybe get a little speech training. The older they get, the harder it will be to unlearn this habit.

3 Likes

Some of us are happy to see the blame redirected, however unfairly.

1 Like

Journalism notwithstanding, itā€™s not a California thing. Southern women were ā€œuptalkingā€ long before the 80ā€™s. Itā€™s been suggested that in a culture where women can only have the most covert forms of power, even a declarative sentence can seem confrontational and even masculine. The solution? Turning every sentence into a question? Like youā€™re all set to be contradicted?

If thatā€™s so, itā€™s not a function of stupidity, itā€™s a function of power.

9 Likes

Last time I heard this song was when it came out.

And, manā€¦ I forgot how excruciatingly crappy it was. Couldnā€™t even get through 25% of it.

Seems like the roots of this go back to the 60s at least. Like So Cal beatnik/surfer speak.

Like is just a filler word. Itā€™s used in the same way that um, uh, and er are. To indicate that thereā€™s more to your sentence but you havenā€™t quite organized the words in your mind yet or youā€™re blanking on something.

4 Likes

Yeah, I never pictured Valley Girls shopping at Laura Ashley.

2 Likes

If you want real information on the topic, search for ā€œhigh rise terminals.ā€
The Wikipedia article is interesting.

The original source intervieweesā€™ paper:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1121/1.4863274

3 Likes

Hey, itā€™s a monster bass jam by Scott Thunes. Rarely do you hear the bass out front like this for the entire song.

5 Likes

Well, then maybe with all vocals removed it would be passable. The lead and the chorus are fingernails on a chalkboard.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High was also part of this wave.

And amazingly enough, all of that ā€œdude,ā€ ā€œbro,ā€ ā€œbogus,ā€ ā€œawesomeā€ buffoonery has stuck. People still unironically say ā€œawesome.ā€ Iā€™ve been waiting for over three decades for that shite to wear off and if anything itā€™s stronger than ever.

Whenever I hear someone say ā€œawesomeā€ I silently curse Spicoli.

2 Likes

In NY, ā€œlikeā€ is replaced by ā€œfuggin.ā€