Vaped crusader

I’ll await the official ruling from the Food and Drug Administration saying that rather than take your word for it. You know, the guys who look at whether thing things people claim about things we ingest are true and/or dangerous or not in the United States. Also, the agency formed after companies kept poisoning us for decades.

As the old saying goes, everyone who smokes is quitting. The hard part is stopping.

My Grandmother kept smoking even after having a lung removed and died at 58. My Gradfather quit cold turkey around the time my Grandmother had her lung removed. When she died, he drank himself to death 4 years later.

1 Like

But how do we know that? Vaping hasn’t been around long enough for longitudinal studies.

I’m trying to be open-minded and I know my evidence is anecdotal, but I hate to think my evidence suggests that the Great Depression generation (what are we calling people born in 1920s and1930s again?) are just made of sturdier stock. No group therapy, no step down routine, no gum, mints, or patches; they just made a decision and did it. Even as a non-smoker, I’m not sure if banning tobacco is a good idea.

Also, I’m just suspicious of the motives behind the manufacturers of e-cigs. They make money keeping people hooked.

Is the UK government okay? Because their position via NHS is that vaping is 95% less dangerous than smoking.

2 Likes

It is interesting that the same people that decry “detoxing” and poopoo taking supplements for mistrust reasons are all signed up to suck on that ecig. Cause really, when did the smoking industry ever lie before?

3 Likes

Not for US law or standards.

I don’t care if it is 95% less if the baseline is high. That 5% is a concern.

Frankly, as I said, I don’t care what anyone does as long as I or my kid don’t have to breathe it too. Cigarettes where I live can’t be in a place of business open to the public or within 30 feet of the doors. Just go vape where the smokers are and no one will care.

My grandma was a waitress in a truck stop and died of lung cancer. I support not making waitresses or bartenders breathe things just to have a job too.

2 Likes

Sure!

The UK gov supports the idea that vaping is 95% safer than smoking cigarettes: http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/08August/Pages/E-cigarettes-95-per-cent-less-harmful-than-smoking-says-report.aspx

Which makes sense. 5% as bad? yeah, that makes sense with everything we know.

I personally know 3 people who tried to quit smoking using e-cigs. Only one succeeded. E-cigs lack the MAOI that you find in tobacco. I keep thinking that has something to do with it.

1 Like

So you don’t trust scientists from the United Kingdom because they aren’t American?

2 Likes

No, I don’t think they have any relevance to US law nor to our safety standards.

Would you want it enshrined in local laws if Russian scientists said it or North Korean ones?

1 Like

Likely because the tobacco industry has very little to do with vaping and they want more.

1 Like

How many of the pro “Vape anywhere people” here would invite a friend over to dinner in their house or apartment and want them vaping and emitting a cloud of smoke over the dinner table while everyone spoke? Wouldn’t folks say “Hey, can’t you go outside to do that so all of the rest of us don’t have to breathe that too?”

1 Like

You don’t believe that the UK can produce competent doctors? You don’t believe that people, as an essentialism to being from the UK, makes them not know anything about medicine?

2 Likes

No, I think that what a UK government or professional body produces has no impact on US law or decisions. We have our own FDA.

1 Like

I mean, you don’t believe in science?

Sorry to hear that.

We nagged my aunt and it didn’t do any good. However, when she went into the hospital for a minor heart attack she effectively quit because smoking wasn’t allowed. Another aunt and uncle tried the American Lung Association step down routine and hated it, so they both decided to stop.

My mom was a nurse and she thought that nicotine was worse than heroin, not that she had any experience with either one. But she taught us to be more empathetic whenever we tried to nag my aunt or hide her cigarettes.

My husband’s mother never stopped, but I always had the feeling that she never really wanted to stop. When she was diagnosed with late-stage lung cancer, my father-in-law would bug her about smoking. I told him to stop and let her enjoy the days she had left.

3 Likes

It is, and should be outlawed.

1 Like

For all I know, UK law thinks it is fine to poison people with twice the levels of something that we allow in the US. I don’t care though. UK decisions have no bearing on the US. That’s why we have our own agencies and scientists.

You can keep asking questions if you want though. You’re just driving trollies at this point.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I’ll take a look at it.

Does a company meeting at the same dinner table count? Snacks are present.

A colleague vapes at said meetings. Both me and the other colleague don’t mind. There is virtually no smell, and the aerosol exhaled is diluted and harmless.

1 Like