Verizon attaches privacy-obviating unique ID to customers' internet requests

[Permalink]

SpeedTest.net should create a proxy service, that way you get the priority lanes to ā€˜test your bandwidthā€™, but they could also strip away any nonsense like this.

AT&T does this too.

Wow, time to use a VPN on mobile :-0 (Assuming Verizon doesnā€™t block VPNsā€¦ :-p )

1 Like

AT&T over LTE on iPhone 5 w/ iOS 8.1 - accessed the security page linked in the Wired article, and got myself a UIDH also. Goes away when I access via wifi, as promised. So I look forward to seeing whether the experts conclude that AT&T is doing the exact same thing.

I also wonder how companies can possibly justify this under their privacy policies; which as written would seem to me to promise not to do this sort of thing without customer consent.

If so it is probably the kind of ā€œif you keep using AT&Tā€ you consent kind of ā€œconsent.ā€

Oh! Verizon Wireless.

Had me worried for a moment there.

For anybody who considers this a Verizon deal-breaker - if you already have this resolve, why not go all out and deal with them as an equal? Why do you assume that they are the stronger half of the usage agreement? Write a new one. Give them a scary ultimatum. Get forceful - itā€™s not like they treat their customers better, from any sort of ethical high ground.

If the ID is ā€˜per subscriberā€™, how does this help market-targetters who would still have insufficient identification to single out individuals in the same household sharing the connection? Not that Iā€™m defending the use of subscriber IDs - still a lousy underhanded piece of trickery - but it canā€™t do anyone that much good, can it? Even if (as population statistics tell us) the majority of households comprise a single individual then you might surmise id == individual, but you could never be sure.

Oh you haters. Why would Verizon want to invade the privacy of a harmless person like me? Iā€™m sure itā€™s just for statistical purposes. You just donā€™t trust corporations, thatā€™s your problem.

3 Likes

If there is a real market for online privacy, then Iā€™m sure some new startup Internet providers and wireless companies will come along to fill it, and to shake things up.

And then the handful of big players, who do not like real competition, will squash them like bugs.

1 Like

By ā€˜marketersā€™ you mean the NSA/CIA complex, right?

Not right off the starting block, but I would imagine that Surveillance State Marketing would have a better idea of the composition of the household than Consent Manufacturing Marketing.

1 Like

There can be idea sharing. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if this was something that some uninteresting-looking guy advised to a Verizon guy over a beer at some tech conferenceā€¦

Blimey. Was that you?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.