Vibrating train window to play ads through the skulls of tired commuters

A nightmarish vision straight out of The Space Merchants: a gadget that purportedly vibrates train windows at the right frequency to beam advertisements straight into your head by means of bone-conduction, should you tire and rest your head against them. All the references to this point to one video posted by someone with no other… READ THE REST

First time a story I’ve submitted made it onto the site…but I guess Cory found it through a different route.

This sounds more like a marketing stunt than anything; suggest something so horrible that you’ll never actually do it, but let the story get out and the outrage will go viral, with your company prominently attached.

The Telegraph had linked it to Sky Deutschland

Edit: As indeed, I see the craptastic video does, too.

I want to hack the crap out of this, to make it vibrate the words (post-magic-sunglasses) from They Live. CONSUME. OBEY.

What can one say but “Roll Over…”

(Beethoven famously relied on bone conduction to compose amid his deafness, in his case using a reed between his teeth placed against the strings of his piano).

This technique(I share the skepticism about it actually having been deployed; but I’d be shocked if it weren’t doable with a little engineering work) along with the advertising using the very-impressively-clever-and-equally-creepy directed audio technology seems like something that Team Abnormal Psych might want to vet, if only for liability reasons, before widespread deployment. I can’t imagine that any of the conditions that included auditory hallucinations are improved by experiences-tantamount-to-auditory-hallucination being added to your environment.

(Also, of course, just for the sake of society more broadly, anybody who dabbles in this sort of advertising should probably be hung, drawn, and quartered; but I’m not getting my hopes up.)

2 Likes

It’s like pop-up ads…for reality.

1 Like

Came here for this. Holy crap, is that a bad idea with the potential for undesirable, unintended consequences.

It’s not particularly new technology- Look up “Sound Bite Lollipops”:

1 Like

Eh. While on the train, I get messages from God via the sunlight flickering through the bare branches of winter trees. The last one, in February, was “Enjoy every sandwich.” Which I’d already heard, so it was kind of a waste.

5 Likes

“Sky presents ancient technology with electronic music in the background, that makes it new and revolutionary.”

“Tired commuters often rest their heads against windows, so you should use our technology to stop them from resting by playing them your advertisements - they’ll love you for it!”

I’ll note that there isn’t a “right frequency to beam” sound. Music and speech are many frequencies and there isn’t a single frequency that enables bone conduction.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.