Victorian home "slightly haunted", say sellers

Most would assume Elizabethan England to refer to the second half of the Sixteenth Century. :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe that the preferred term for the current reign is The Second Elizabethan Age, but I might be mistaken.

2 Likes

An A/C unit…?

1 Like

Both Victorian and Edwardian are common and distinctive terms in regards to Architecture in Australia. However a lot of that probably relates to the speed at which our major cities were growing during that period.

1 Like

Not “post-empire”?

1 Like

Not specific enough, as even once the Queen passes and the Second Elizabethan Age ends, it’ll still be after the empire and still consequently “post-empire”. :wink:

1 Like

Isn’t Victorian a geographical term in Australia?

1 Like

Yes, Victoria is also a state; but in the context of architecture this is
not what the term refers to. Victoria the state has no distinctive style
that warrants a term, we’re not like those trendy Queenslanders with their
floods and humid weather.

1 Like

Although much of Melbourne’s inner city was developed in the 1880’s, which makes a lot of our architecture Victorian squared…

Heck, they use it as standard term to describe a time period.

1 Like

I don’t know what the law is in Pennsylvania, but in some states the seller of a house has a duty to disclose that it is haunted. If a house had ever been the subject of a “ghost hunter” show or advertised as haunted by the owner it would be be considered haunted as a matter of law.

1 Like

That’s a perfectly lovely house! Nothing like this house I went to see a few years back. It was located between a bar and the railroad tracks, and yes, that is a noose in the garage.

2 Likes

A friend explained this by pointing out that local laws require that the seller disclose all known flaws in the property, and that case law in the area says that hauntings are to be considered a known flaw.

Doesn’t that imply the requirement to have proof of haunting? What form would that proof take, exactly? PKE meter readings?

Wouldn’t be the first time supernatural beliefs and/or magical thinking enjoyed the cover and color of law. :confused:

This Old Haunted House

Legally there’s no proof of actual haunting required (the court does not recognize the paranormal), but as a matter of law it would be considered a “stigmatized property” that could affect resale value and therefore the buyer has a right to know. Look at the case law from New York for a better explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stambovsky_v._Ackley

1 Like

You know, if you kill someone in a place like this you are able to get away with it a lot easier because people will think the new ghost is just the old one doing new tricks.

Just saying.

Isn’t that what the TV is for?

I thought the photo of the house showed something odd but on closer inspection it was just the current resident’s dog, Zuul.

3 Likes

We’ve been told several times that our house is well known to be haunted. But apparently the ghost(s?) likes us, so all it ever does is return missing socks and mysteriously transport empty hangers from closets to the laundry. Frankly it’s a little disappointing, although I never say so because I don’t want to hurt its feelings. The occasional ghastly visage would be a nice novelty.