Video portrait of a guy who quit finance to pursue a career of walking dogs

[Permalink]

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks Xeni.

Did he amass a fortune in finance and then become a dog walker? If so I’m less impressed. If I had to never worry about money again there are lots of low-pressure, more personally satisfying jobs I’d rather do over my current occupation. Hell if it wasn’t for money and health care most of us would be doing something else.

3 Likes

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t–you’re right.” --Henry Ford

It doesn’t sound like he did. Apparently he worked in finance for a few years and then just quit. I didn’t get any sense of “Now that I have five million in the bank I can do this.”

Definitely inspiring stuff, but so hard. A job for ten years and a young family is an incredible amount of momentum to just stay the course.

Seems like whenever I see an inspiring story of someone ‘following their dreams’ by taking a wacky career, they’re always leaving a job in finance.

Sure makes it seem like spending a few years in the world of finance makes it easy to be a dog walker (or candlestick maker, or knife sharpener, or world traveler, etc) for a living. Must be nice, finance!

Notice he’s an entrepreneur in Norway? Funny how socialized medicine makes it easier to be a capitalist, isn’t it? Now Americans are beginning to have similar stories - but only beginning.

2 Likes

It doesn’t necessarily take money. It takes personal sacrifice and a bit of gumption. The man in the video may have worked in finance, but he was in London so it’s quite possible that a large chunk of his salary went toward housing. He probably did save up a bit of cash, but you’d be amazed at how much you can accomplish if you’re not wasting your day 9-5 at a job and cut your spending down.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.