Video: The history of the violin, throughout music history

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Superbly done. Though as a trad-Irish fiddle player myself I was puzzled by the Chieftains Irish entry. It was listed as Drowsy Maggie but didn’t sound like Drowsy Maggie or Irish at all, more Scottish than anything. I see the tune was recorded by Sean Keane and the Chieftains (you can find Sean playing it on youtube) it is actually a hornpipe, sped up and played as a reel and is composed by 19th century British Fiddler James Hill from Gateshead. Though I’m sure that Charles Yang is talented enough to pickup the styles, it would be great to see an exploration of folk fiddle styles - it was really barely touched on here. Ie. Scottish, Irish (many styles in Ireland alone), New England, Quebecois, Metis, Old-time, Cajun, Texas Swing … and many styles across Europe, Moravian, Swedish, Gypsy etc…

1 Like

nice, though I found “fact man” distracting,

Oh was I supposed watching that? Or just listening?

I just found it distracting that Fact Man was the whole frame away from the lower-right written cites with dates.

1 Like

Awesome! Made my day!

I’d never take my niece to a concert. Too much sax and violins.

//stole that from reddit sorry, temptation was too much

I thought it strange that there wasn’t any Ashley MacIsaac included. Maybe he wasn’t as popular in the US. He managed to chart with a song in Gaelic and with an entirely instrumental song in 1995 and 1996.

(there’s an actual music video for Sleepy Maggie, but the thumbnail involves a hand-bra and I don’t want to push any luck dragons)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.