Visit to the aquarium does not go as expected

Zoos and aquariums are DNA* repositories that act as a stopgap until we get artificial womb technology for endangered/extinct species up and running. The entertainment part is just to help pay the bills.

*“DNA” is shorthand for “the entire constellation of biological processes and symbiotic microbes that allow an organism to survive.”

5 Likes

Tell that to the captive animals. Who exactly is collecting this DNA? Is it private corporations? If so, both the animals and the people who work for them are being exploited. Ans since when did private corporations care about endangered species? Who exactly is supposedly collecting the DNA?

Only if you fill the bathtub really deep. Get less than three feet of water in there, and you’re a goner.

Best not to talk about the toilets.

3 Likes

Depends on the facility. For example, the San Diego Zoo is a private non-profit, the National Zoo is part of the federal government while Sea World is a for-profit company (until 2009 it was part of Anheuser-Busch).

3 Likes

There are a number of species that are extinct in the wild, but still exist in captivity. There are others that will be that way soon. Sometimes you have to balance the individual with the needs of the species and the whole ecology at a future date when the species might be able to be reintroduced.

2 Likes

He jumped the shark like Fonzo!

1 Like

You know how else is a DNA repository. YOUR MOM.

5 Likes

I was unaware that most species in zoos and aquariums are endangered. Especially, you know, the actual species being discussed, like killer whales and sharks. Or other popular species like elephants, giraffes, lions, grizzly bears, wolves, etc. But I suppose by the DNA-bank rationale there is really no reason to keep species that do not breed in captivity.

1 Like

Mud shark.

1 Like

Right on!

I have to say your comment sounds like the same rational the people who want to hunt wolves in Yellowstone use. They keep talking about some “strategy” whereby killing wolves will save their population.

Er, “how else”? Really?? Oh, and yr little dog too!

To state the obligatory: mud sh-sh-shark

I still think it’s a hoax. Why does he put on his goggles before opening the door? It just isn’t believable.

The “eye protection required” sign prominently placed on the middle of the door might have something to do with it. If the lab is at all serious about health and safety regs, he’s putting on eye protection to keep both his eyesight and his job.

2 Likes

This really happened before, by the way…

From what I understand, 3 lemon sharks got out, ate a woman and chased another guy down the street, got ahold of his leg and kept pulling on his leg until it ripped off. Just kept pulling on his leg.

1 Like

Yep, it’s all innocent fun until someone cracks their head open on the floor.

Then it’s a lawsuit.

1 Like

A fairly salient point that I was wondering about, and was happy to see answered at post 3. And then pretty much completely ignored thereafter…

1 Like

I’m amazed and saddened that it needed to explained in the first place.

1 Like

Why would a Spy Museum have a shark?