W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave"

Any browser that implements a standard that users find unacceptable will find those users abandoning their browser in short order.

Agreed. I’m also thinking it’s time to abandon W3C and set up a new standards body.

2 Likes

Yes, screw them. The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. Or to ignore.

1 Like

I wonder if anyone else feels they only “allowed” it to get it off the table so they can focus on more important things? I mean, there’s clearly no way of actually implementing it that doesn’t change everything that’s come so far, or simply use some kind of third party plug-in for locked down parts (like Flash).

1 Like

Except when that browser is mandated by corporate policy.

2 Likes

Reading the EFF article, it discovered that much of note in the web standards world actually came from whatwg before being adopted by the w3c.

1 Like

In the voice of Alan Rickman. “I’ll get you, American cultural imperialism!”

1 Like

That’s exactly what I don’t understand: How can this DRM scheme possibly work, if it’s an open standard with multiple parties (who are notoriously bad at implementing standards the same way) implementing browsers, most of which are at least partially open source.

They have to ban Firefox, Chromium and Webkit from implementing this, or it’s going to be subverted.

The DRM people finally need to learn that if you want code to execute on someone else’s machine, you can not have the final control over the execution of that code.

2 Likes

This move will destroy many efforts to sell content in a way that do not need DRM. Business models that huge corporations will never be able to see.

1 Like

Why does Tim BL care about Hollywood? It’s not like all the useful stuff www can do will become unuseful if TinselTown gets on the GoodBye Train in a huff.

Besides - I buckled last night and rented a movie on iTunes - “olympus has fallen” - JFC it reconfirmed my opinions on Hollywood’s output - it’s a steaming pile of shit.

Anyone want to invest in alternative network systems?

1 Like

I had the same thoughts until it occurred to me that ISP, hardware manufacturers, and software design will probably all march off hand-in-hand to restrict the very browsers that can be used. You want to look at CNN? You can only use these three browsers. You want to access the rest of the internet? Well, you only have those three browsers. You have those three browsers? Well, we’re going to design them so they can’t access information about other browsers. How do you like them apples that update your software automatically?

Or maybe not. I hope not.

I’m just curious… so which browser designer is okay these days? Safari, IE, Chrome are obviously no good. The Tor browser has been tainted. Opera?

1 Like

Could we let the NSA, uh “participate in helping to create” the cryptographic standards behind the DRM stuff? That should make it fairly easy to break at least.

5 Likes

FINALLY! At last myfreecams can migrate to HTML5. (do not Google mfc at work. NSFW.)

I get the hate and wotnot but much of the Web as we know it has been developed through commercial ventures and they want to lock down their content or are obligated to lock down other people’s content that they are streaming.

Nobody is forcing anyone to use locked-down websites. Well, the gubment might force you to use their locked down websites but that’s not the sort of thing you do for fun anyway.

So much anger because what it’ll be slightly harder to screen-cap lol cats?

It’s an economic reality that the web standards should cater for businesses. Corporations are people, legally, so to do otherwise would be infringing their HUMAN RIGHTS. Jeeze, a little consideration, people.

1 Like

I think it won’t be as dire as that. This is software, not hardware, so in the end, someone will just go in and hack the bad code away. I’ve never seen anything, even in the hardware realm, that can’t be fixed with a little programming or reverse engineering or rewiring. I think it will just inconvenience a lot of people, most of whom don’t even know the difference between Google and a browser, much less what all this DRM and web standards stuff means. People think you’re a miracle worker if you’re able to Google something and apply someone else’s solution to their problem.

This DRM crap is for the little people, not the grownups. (That is a joke, BTW.)

And honestly, Hollywood can barely put out a movie these days. I’ve seen their ‘digital offerings’ (remember Ultraviolet? No, neither does anyone else.), and it’s crap like everything else they produce. Hollywood will find a way to bungle this up, no matter how much money and talent they throw at it, and if the hackers don’t cooperate (hackers don’t cooperate), they’re not going to have someone stand behind you with a billy club telling you can’t grab their content.

1 Like

I saw the trailer. I can confirm the smell. Did not want to step in it. Prefer flushing doo-doo bye-bye.

1 Like

You have made multiple already false assumptions numerous times.

You are assuming people can’t make money with OSS.

You are assuming there is not protection against stuff like that already that it is not affective. We already have the DMCA and it prevents copyright infringement when it comes to stolen stuff like that quite nicely, when it comes to people throwing up a copy of a website’s content outside of fair use.

You are also assuming people people won’t develop develop stuff with out immediate commercial incentives.

4 Likes

Blarg. I think the thing that pisses me off about Google is how many people who are quick to criticize Microsoft or Apple sing praises for Google.

2 Likes

My magic ball says that within a week of this being implemented in browsers there’ll be a Chromium fork that removes all DRM, and that Firefox will possibly not support it at all.

1 Like

The DRM is not part of the browser. Only the API to use it is the standard. This is a new plugin standard with all the problems of native plugins. Compiling a modified browser won’t help because you don’t get the source to the DRM plugin.

4 Likes

Sadly common sense tells them that if Netflix, Hulu and every other video site does not work in their browser their users which switch browsers. Note: I disagree with the DRM. Just pointing out taking a stand won’t help unless they all take a stand including IE and Safari. While a few technorati will use the non-DRM browser the masses will just use what lets them access content. … see iPad.

3 Likes