Wall of Voodoo's "Mexican Radio" (1983)

why are The Monkees wearing 80s clothes?

1 Like

80s thrasher me approves.

I’ve loved them since I somehow discovered Call of the West when I was growing up on the coast of Maine in the early 80s. Seeing their performance in URGH! A Music War was a bit of a revelation at that age as well. I just love the shot of Joe Nanini leaning in for a precision ting on the triangle just cracks me up every time. Joe was also the one who did the screams at the end of Call of the West, the “I USED TO BE SOMEBODY!” rant. Great stuff.

A band that was always written off as almost a new wave novelty act, it seemed to me. Fantastic story telling on that album. Very haunting and enveloping. It’s always endured with me and revisiting it is always a joy. Spy World should have been a follow up single.

Stan’s final set with the band, at the second US Festival is available on the usual web sites for such things. Well worth picking up.

And as challenging as it is for a band to pick up with a new singer, I thought they did a fantastic job with Andy Prieboy’s first record with them, Seven Days in Sammystown. Very different singer, lyrical atmosphere was similar to Stan, but very much WoV. Worth the time as well.

I like Wall of Voodoo.

1 Like

My favorite Andy Prieboy thing was White Trash Wins Lotto. Criminal that a cast album was never made.

1 Like

It was wonderful, and figures into P-EG - you should check it out if you haven’t read it.

Celtic Frost were pretty fond of that tune.
It was both on their Into The Pandemonium and on the much derided follow up, Cold Lake. They also included a version on their post-breakup compilation, Parched With Thirst Am I…, which was titled a 1991 studio jam, which I think is the best version of it. Here it is.

1 Like

Because it’s Appalachian Wave, man!
Speaking of which, how about some Pylon, “Stop It”.

1 Like

I’ll see you and raise you “I Broke My Saw”

For a 5 minute history of the band (and the video for Mexican Radio) you need to hear Stan’s “Talking Wall of Voodoo Blues” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUEzHQhydpo

1 Like

Great band. Anybody interested should check out “Crack the Bell” from Dark Continent, and their amazing cover of “Ring of Fire.”

2 Likes

Is it just me, or is it impossible to buy a digital copy of Dark Continent?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.