Watch: Cornstarch flamethrower is awesome

[Permalink]

That looks like a homemade version of a dust pump I used while making a music video back in high school. It used a fine silica powder, which I’m sure is just as flammable as corn starch.

If only we’d thought of strapping a propane torch to the end of it our video for “Dust In The Wind” by Kansas would have been so much better.

4 Likes

Finally! Something I can gladly wear for open carry day at the local Denny’s.

10 Likes

I’ve been saying for years they should outlaw corn starch. Won’t somebody think of the children?

8 Likes

We’ll always have non-dairy creamer.

alt.:

You can take my non-dairy creamer when you pry it out of my cold, decaffeinated hands.

4 Likes

It’s the look(s) on his face that really sells it.

2 Likes

as a first incarnation it’s ok, but he needs to work on getting the air:fuel ratio consistent (and adjustable) so that it does more than just belch fire.

4 Likes

You’ve heard of exploding grain elevators? This is more of an exploding grain moving sidewalk.

7 Likes

When I try out my homemade cornstarch flamethrower - and I do! - I like to do it while standing in a patch of dry, dead weeds. For the fun!

10 Likes

Yes, I agree. Children would have been much more combustible than paper zombies.

8 Likes

No! Bad!

While billions around the world starve, we burn food for amusement. That’s obscene.

I know, right. Think of all those people that could be sitting down to a nice hot bowl of oobleck.
It gets worse, too.

6 Likes

Yeah, in version 2.0 the leaf blower should be powered solely by indignation.

9 Likes

for a sure-shot of improvised hellfire, nothing beats a SuperSoaker full of gasoline. They’re single use, the heat deforms the hoses, but far more impressive stream and coverage. And more dangerous for the user!

1 Like

Yeah, that would work much better, I expect, oils instead of starch, much better energy density!

No eggs? No baking? I don’t know what they think custard is, but that slop is for the bird’s.

1 Like

I see what you did there… :custard:

2 Likes

An innocent grocers apostrophe!

Innocent. Sure…

And as a nod in the vague direction of topic, the food chemist responsible for that particular non-newtonian foodstuff was motivated by the illness of his wife, leading him to create both an egg-free custard, but also baking powder as a yeast alternative for bread. TIL and all that…

4 Likes