WATCH: How Looney Tunes' Chuck Jones evolved as an artist

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Chuck Jones is an animation superhero. His work is always captivating even when he’s not outright trying to crack you up. There’s so much of his work that i admire and can watch over and over, but one that stands out is The Bear That Wasn’t (Though the Barber of Seville is a close second)

9 Likes

I’ve always preferred insane Daffy, personally…

1 Like

Me too, but that’s because glory hound Daffy is kind of a jerk.

Man, the memories I have of watching the Bugs Bunny show as a kid, every Saturday morning… I really need to get my hands on some anthologies so my kids can enjoy it as much as I do. Though they have so many more options than I ever did as a kid, for entertainment. 24 hour cartoon channels? Crazy talk!

6 Likes

… although I will say that “consequences, schmonsequences, so long as I’m rich” is one of my favorite sayings.

4 Likes

When I first read Beckett in college my first thought was, “Hey, this is the Roadrunner and Coyote!” The only difference was that the Chuck Jones cartoons were funnier.

My English classes would have been a lot more interesting if, instead of reading Act Without Words we’d simply watched Fast & Furry-ous. And there was a more profound lesson in Wile E. Coyote’s unwillingness to give up.

1 Like

I’ve always been partial to “What’s Opera, Doc?” and “Long Haired hare”, but really, any of those old WB cartoons will do.

And the more I think about it, Bugs Bunny was, for me at least, the original troll. Mr. Fudd deserved it, of course, but Bugs never failed to convince him one way or another.

7 Likes

My favorite episode of Farscape (which is my favorite tv show ever) was Revenging Angel. Wherein the Henson studio paid homage to Chuck Jones throughout the entire episode.

The man was brilliant.

1 Like

Bugs’ facial expressions (or maybe “non-expression” would be a better term) throughout the “chair” sequences in The Rabbit of Seville still crack me up to this day…

4 Likes

I think I prefer it when Daffy starts out a jerk and is then driven insane.

“I love the smell of burnt feathers and gunpowder and cordite. I’m an elk. Go on, shoot me! It’s elk season!”

Duck! Rabbit, Duck!
http://www.bilibili.com/video/av1854163/

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.