WATCH: incredible archer shows his skills

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Is he incorporating Jazz Hands into that floor sliding shot?

1 Like

I’ll have to watch this later but 1 min and I learned something. Awesome.

There is an old guy that was on this Shooting USA show I used to watch and he could make some amazing shots, like pick aspirin out of the air.

This is the guy you want on your end of the world zombie apocalypse team.

4 Likes

Wow. My son is a fan of the show Arrow, and I’ve been critical of what’s really possible with a bow. I’ll shut up now. (or at least, I’ll transition to making fun of his quiver).

4 Likes

That’s a trick longbow trickshot artist Byron Ferguson is known for. These days Hoyt sponsored recurve trick shot artist Frank Addington, Jr. has upped the ante and does the shot behind his back.

The guy in the video is pretty darn impressive, but the narrstion in the video does get a few things wrong. The reason arrows in western bows are shot on the left side has to do with achieving optimal arrow tune based on the oscillation of arrows set up as the bow string comes off and around the fingers of the draw hand. horse pills are typically shot on the right side of the bow because they are drawn and loosed from the thumb on the opposite side as a Western/Mediterranean finger loose.

We have a new meme: “Drops arrow pieces, walks off stage.”

1 Like

“He uses forgotten historical techniques…”

Isn’t forgotten pretty much the opposite of historical?

1 Like

Great question! Answer is “Well, not really.”

The method of shrinking an iron rim on to a shield was independently rediscovered by the makers of the American Conestoga wagon. The method was documented in the sense of “this manuscript says they did it” but not documented in the sense of “here is how you can do it”.

The formula for true damascus (incorrectly equated with pattern welding in books written during most of the 20th century) was rediscovered fairly recently. Yet we not only have damascus referenced in many period sources, we actually have some existing pieces.

TLDR; “historical” means somebody wrote or painted about it, and does not mean that the actual method they used to do it hasn’t been lost. I think there’s at least one historical bronze-working technique that is still forgotten, in fact… Burton references an Egyptian bronze chisel that can cut stone.

8 Likes

It is interesting how hollywood movies depicting medieval archers show them in very disciplined lines, knocking out mud-stuck knights from 200 yards away with gigantic longbows. But the contemporary art often shows them mixing it up!

I always supposed this was maybe just out of compositional/thematic artistic reasons, but it makes sense that people whose job it was to literally kill people with arrows would be really, really good at it.

5 Likes

Somebody get that guy some trick arrows. STAT! Obligatory Hawkeye picture.

1 Like

Running the last archers to ground is typically the final act of any medieval sport combat that permits archery.

1 Like

English longbowmen really did stand off hundreds of yards away from the action and rain down volleys of arrows upon approaching knights and infantry. The video, while fascinating, talks about historical archery as if it’s all one thing. Its not. There are different types of archery and different peoples who use them. Infantry longbowmen and horsebowmen are not the same thing, nor do they use the same kinds of bows or techniques. Archery varies from region to region.

On the other hand, just because English longbowmen did shoot from hundreds of yards away doesn’t mean that they didn’t use their bows closer up when the enemy advanced.

4 Likes

Absolutely. It just seems plausible to me that at close range, professionals might continue to use their good weapon quite effectively rather than (as is often suggested) switching to sidearms

“citation needed” indeed…

2 Likes

TODO:
Implement rules for proper archery in D&D. Suggestion: when the PC earns enough experience for a new level, he no longer receives a penalty for using a back mounted quiver. Once the character earns enough levels to forget his “hollywood conception” of archery, he can actually learn these tricks as Feats.

5 Likes

Also:

This is not the original cover

On a patriotic note, when people say ‘english longbow men’ they were (especially at agincourt) mostly were welsh! The welsh invented/started using the longbow in about th 12 century… My pet rant for the day over sry

4 Likes

Were archers never the last warriors standing?

It happens, but it’s pretty rare. In medieval sport combat, arrows are tedious to make, hard to shoot accurately, and get broken a lot. So usually there are relatively few archers compared to, say, shieldmen or spearmen.

Also, some of us can knock arrows out of the air in flight, so we can only be shot when we’re not looking or busy with somebody else.