Watch this guy strip down and rebuild car engine in mesmerizing stop-motion animation

[Permalink]

4 Likes

Oh come on, @xeni. That headline was a total tease.

13 Likes

Most times I regret scrolling down, but very occasionally:

20 Likes

I’ve been meaning to ask: where exactly did this fedora’d-reddit-commenter meme start? It seems to be a common thing lately. I assume the vast majority of them are parody accounts; is there some particular goal in mind? (I am largely ignorant of the ways of Reddit.)

Ha! I love the ending. Anyone who has ever rebuilt anything knows that there are always a few “unnecessary” parts. Best to just leave these out.

8 Likes

This is wonderful. But I would have preferred a yakety sax soundtrack.

3 Likes

My brother usually takes a week to do that job, but he’s not a filmmaker. That said, it’s a wonderful film!

Oh, and I figured it was a British motor as soon as I saw the word “rebuild”. Toyotas don’t need that bit of work.

1 Like

Pffft. I knew when I saw that rocker cover :wink: Actually, the A series is a lovely little engine, that will take some serious punishment, and, with a BMW K-series twin-cam head on it (the bolt holes & ports match right up), it makes a fair bit of power. Or doesn’t work at all, depending.

2 Likes

Brilliant video, and one of my favorite pieces of incidental music to accompany it!

@xeni Thanks for posting it!

Well, yes, I am familiar with the fedora specifically; what I do not understand is what appears to be this specific recent trend of Youtube comments resembling the one posted by jsroberts. (It is only something that kicked off recently, isn’t it?)

I dunno… it looks like the troll-of-the-week club.

1 Like

I disagree. I am so tired of the goddam Mountain King I wish he was strangled at birth. Not Grieg, though. He’s usually okay.

I felt the same until the end - that was a nice touch with the extra parts.

I’d actually just noticed, but I’m not on YouTube much. There’s another similar (and older) comment just below it, so I guess it wasn’t that original.

There are some tunes that certainly become over-used, and thereby disassociated with their original musical quality:

Setting a slapstick comedy gig to Yakety Sax is now called “giving it the Benny Hill treatment.”

I played sax in high school band, and I resent the misappropriation of that wonderful part of the saxophone repertoire.

Similarly, setting a progressive video (as in, something in progress, leading to an expected conclusion) to In The Hall Of The Mountain King is more than a little overused.

But I also played bassoon back in the day (it was my first ever contest piece), and I likewise resent the misappropriation of that part of the bassoon repertoire.

I know what both of those tunes were originally, I can appreciate them for what they were before they became tropes.

As always, YMMV :smile:

Edited to add: Grieg rocks!

Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle. That can’t just be a happy coincidence, right?

2 Likes

I appreciate them FOR becoming the tropes.

You can’t make everybody happy…

2 Likes

Will the last person to re-post a year-old video originally from reddit turn out the lights?

Some of us didn’t see it yet. It made my evening.
It’s recycled. So what? At least it’s ecological.

3 Likes

Same same. It was fun. Also - xkcd: Ten Thousand

4 Likes