Weird light photographed on Mars

[Permalink]

Martian punk with a laser pointer.

16 Likes

Fremen Scum

19 Likes

It seems most likely to be a cosmic ray strike, given how common they are with Martian pictures (not much atmosphere to reduce to absorb many) and that it shows up in one camera but not the other.

7 Likes

I’m going with ghost. In other news: Mars Is Heaven!

4 Likes

Clearly a Martian mortar. They’re targeting our parachutists.

10 Likes

on two successive days? I may be misunderstanding something but I understood that it was seen twice (on one camera of the two, and not the other, both times).

1 Like

Dead pixel. Hopefully the rover is under warranty.

13 Likes

Yes?

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what the article says. Putting more money on the “shiny rock”.

What’s interesting is that this has suddenly blown up into a “thing”, when NASA says they see this kind of thing every week. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

or a spiffy martian electrical dust devil

2 Likes

That’s the glint off Clint Eastwood’s pearl-handled revolver.

4 Likes

Them’s the spiders I was talkin’ about.

7 Likes

Even if it is a shiny rock it’d be interesting to know what kind of shiny rock. Why is there a mirrored surface on mars, how did it get there?

3 Likes

From my understanding, the “light” didn’t appear in the same spot in the two photographs taken at roughly the same time of day. So two cosmic ray strikes are possible, since they show up in the pictures on a weekly basis. It’s unclear how many pictures they took in that direction at that time of day. If they took more than two (sets), that seems to make the cosmic ray explanation even more likely. The shape of the “light” also seems to be consistent with a cosmic ray strike.

2 Likes

settle.

womp rats…

4 Likes

I knew I’d left the stove on. :frowning:

8 Likes

I have a very bad feeling about this.

1 Like

It’s light seeping in through a crack in the wall of the Area 51 warehouse where the alleged Mars mission is taking place.

7 Likes