'Wellness Guru' Belle Gibson lied about having brain cancer, profited from lying about bogus cancer cures

Yeah, guess so. You get anywhere near that prefix and the red flags start going up.

2 Likes

Having brain cancer myself…I would not even wish it upon her…that’s how terrible of a disease it is. How their government is not going to pursue criminal charges is ridiculous. I work 3 jobs to pay for my medical bills. I could sit here and talk about the seizures, the moments I thought I would die…the surgeries…not being able to walk…coming back to teach health full time. But, she has to live with the shame that will follow her throughout her entire life. Anyone who gave her money is a fool. But to not leave her in financial ruin for the rest of her life is even more foolish. She literally robbed money from the most generous people on Earth…To all of you out there fighting the many types of brain cancer out there, I have an oligodendroglioma, bless you, keep fighting, and yes. FUCK BELLE GIBSON, AND FUCK CANCER

1 Like

Oh, and for those of you who think she has a mental illness and needs help…WTF DO YOU THINK BRAIN CANCER IS??? I am sick of people using this scapegoat for everything. Sometimes people are just pieces of shit, for the sake of being a piece of shit…no diagnosis needed.

cannabis oil and brain tumors…maybe the ONLY positive research on animal models in the past 30 years…and we are years away from human trials…so sad

OK obviously what that lady did was wrong but to lump that list of other modalities into her group simply because she might have used or espoused their methods is wrong unless there’s overt evidence to contrary. With CBD oil for instance there’s evidence to contrary of it being ‘fraud’ and actual medicine that helps eliminate cancer. So please, don’t go off a diatribe over the ‘evils’ due to a singular instance of self-admitted deception next to those that believe in and have researched the causes you implied weren’t real.

STOP THE HATE! Yes, it does not make me happy that she lied … however …

Here is a story worth reading … and a true exercise in forgiveness and facing the reality that in some horrendous acts comes more good than bad! So this woman lied about having cancer, and being cured by eating the proper food … big deal! She gave hope to people that had none … she got people to eat healthier … and those two things outweigh any lie she told! The end justifies the means! Now, before anyone goes into a rampage on me, for standing up for this woman … understand this … the power of the human mind is the most powerful thing on earth! It can move mountains … literally! And, if you truly believe that you can be cured, and I mean without a doubt, you will be! This woman gave people the power to believe they could be cured … and, she gave wellness recipes that absolutely work to boost up the immune system … this is a good thing! Would I believe anything else she has to say in the future … with reservations, but I would not knock her completely out of the park because, though her methods are dishonest, her results are filled with good intentions. Don’t condemn anyone that gives you hope, even false hope is a measure of HOPE! Lying was wrong. no doubt about it … however, her lie did miracles in making people feel healthier, and give people what they had very little of anymore … HOPE! That, alone, is good enough reason for forgiving a lie such as she told.

Billie Love

Poe’s Law?

6 Likes

Anyone who believes in some mythical magical cure for cancer really needs a reality check. Even if A cancer (I say “A” with emphasis since there is more than 1 type and they all react differently to different treatments) could be cured by a simple seed or bean or plant tuber don’t you think that it would’ve become common knowledge and that scientists who’ve spent years on cancer research would’ve tested this out for themselves and made it into a medicine and then profit off sales of it rather than keep it a secret? The fact is they don’t and anyone telling you that it’s a secret cure that scientists don’t want you to know about is just an evil and lying opportunist preying on desperate and vulnerable people for their money.

2 Likes

Bullshit. If you really thought that were true then forced sterilization of people with genetic disorders would be acceptable to you.

There are millions of dead people proving you wrong.

In other words this woman profited off of selling people false hope.

Meaningless. “Boosting the Immune system” is rarely a good thing. Just ask anyone with Rheumatoid Arthritis. “Boosting the Immune system” is at best meaningless crap, and at worst puts people at risk for autoimmune disorders.

You know what they say about the road to hell, right? Just because she meant well, doesn’t mean anything she did or said was worthwhile, and in fact she profited by lying to people who were vulnerable. That’s despicable.

If you mail me all your money, you’ll become the healthiest person in the world. Do it. Actually, don’t do it.
I wouldn’t stoop to the level of pathological liar just to make a little money.

I suppose that adults should believe in Santa Claus too? It gives lots of children hope, even though it’s a lie. Perhaps it would be beneficial for adults to believe lies as well… Oh wait, that’s just religion. Never mind then. All the religion’s false hope is totally worth forgiving blowing up markets, and raping children, and bilking gullible and vulnerable people out of all their money. That hope is totally worth the ones being tricked forgoing actual medical care and dying in a severe state of suffering. Right?

11 Likes

12 Likes

Please cite your sources.

12 Likes

Belle Gibson, thanks for joining the BBS!

9 Likes

Couldn’t agree more my friend. As Robert Crumb wisely said: Keep on Truckin’

1 Like

Do you know what we used to do to lying fraudsters who preyed on the uninformed and the vulnerable?

We used to tar and feather them as a means of humiliation and to literally mark that person as a liar.

Just look at Joseph Smith.

Belle should count herself lucky that we don’t do that anymore.

2 Likes

And thank you for your kind words. Long time lurker here, rare for me to post, but this one just got my back up…

I just count myself lucky to have a pragmatic outlook on life, and even more lucky that my 16yr old son seems to share it. It hurt - oh my word did it hurt - but we had our eyes open and knew what was coming. Also my good lady was just amazing: when the oncologist came in with the prognosis (matter of weeks, turned out to be a couple of days), Linda looked at him and said “Oh, OK. We were just discussing what music to have at my funeral”. The guy’s jaw hit the floor, and I just gave her a big hug. Still love her to bits.

6 Likes

Even if we are to accept your fantasy that the ends justify the means, the placebo effect - as you seem to be aware - requires that the patient believes that the treatment works. Now that her customers know she’s a fraud any placebo effect they would have benefitted from is now gone. Also you can’t, as far as we know yet, nutrition your way out of cancer. The best tools we have are knives and radiation.

1 Like

can’t we do both?

the power of the human mind is the most powerful thing on earth! It can move mountains … literally!

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is not a documentary.

9 Likes

You’re on a thread with quite a few people who either are currently or have battled cancer, or have loved ones in that predicament. You are being incredibly rude at best, and an accessory to Ms. Gibson’s FRAUD at worst. Are you financially involved in the case?

9 Likes

Well of course it was, and then he and his buddies voted for it >600 times because that’s the sort of thing totally sane people do, so there!