What happens inside a dishwasher: a gopro finds out

What’s worse is when one of your older relatives notices this glass deficiency, too, and then proceeds to wipe each glass with the hand-drying utility towel hanging from the dishwasher’s door handle, thinking that this is making things better.

Take your pick: dirty with vertical baked-on dirt stains, or dirty with horizontal greasy dirt wipe stains?

Ugh. Someday, I will invest the thousands in a commercial, restaurant-grade, 2-minute cycle industrial dish-cleaning typhoon. I hate consumer dishwashers. I went through 3 of them at my last house, and they all sucked one way or another.

1 Like

I’ve never seen that kind of machine before; mine has two sets of spinning water jets. I was wondering where I’d seen something similar on BB, then I remembered:

(Previously posted at http://boingboing.net/2013/06/26/tapir-penis-almost-as-horrify.html)

5 Likes

When the video started I wondered who’s dish washer it was; David Cronenberg?

1 Like

They do, but they’re just for showroom demonstration purposes. I’ve seen them at Fry’s and a few other appliance dealers.

Some possibilities–
the glass dishwasher needs to maintained more frequently than a non glass dishwasher
the glass dishwasher is noisier
the glass dishwasher gets tiresome after a while.

They did this in the Mythbusters food special.

Myth: You can cook a lasagne in the dishwasher.

CONFIRMED. You can cook a lasagne to an acceptable standard in a dishwasher.

1 Like

So this is . . . what? The 2014 Ejaculux?

4 Likes

Indeed, in my days working in a kitchen I could power through immense amounts of dishes with that bad boy. Throw in one of those high pressure pull down hoses too and I’ll be a happy (though somewhat soggy) man.

3 Likes

I’ve had dishwasher trout before.

1 Like

I know that was supposed to be hyperbole, but:

4 Likes

Our dishwasher is just a garden variety one, and it will get rid of almost anything on the regular cycle. “Pot Scrubber” cycle is just that, and does a great job. Also I use the “heated water” feature so it gets it hotter than what comes out of the hot tap. And I keep the Rinse Agent reservoir full, so my glasses come out clearer and cleaner than any done by hand. And the heated drying pretty much sterilizes them. Your free dishwasher was worth every penny you paid I guess.

I think the internet has basically killed hyperbole. Your video is exhibit A for that case.

1 Like

Our dishrinser came with our house and it has the weird tendency to leave a sort of smell on things. You put a plate in there that had egg on it, boom the whole thing comes out with a weird funk. Ironically you can send it all though another rinse cycle and it’s fine. I just chalk it up to being a shitty washer like many of the appliances that came with the house.

That’s what insulated dishwashing gloves are for!

Having said that - I only hand wash dishes if they a) don’t fit into my dishwasher; or b) come out of the dishwasher still dirty (which is rare). Though I have learned to thoroughly rinse out the bowl that I serve mashed potatoes in… For some reason, that mashed potato is my dishwasher’s Achilles heel. Everything else it can do just fine, but throw in the bowl with some residual mashers on it? And EVERY SINGLE DISH comes out with a fine layer of potato grit on it.

See if there’s a filter you can clean, I’m willing to bet that’s something that’s been overlooked through the years. It also depends on how often you use it as well, most recommend moving water through them for a bit at least once a day if possible, even just a rinse cycle.

But I’m betting it’s the filter.

We recently bought a new one and I wasn’t ever happy with the cleaning of mugs that had held tea. We were using the recommended detergent, the whole nine yards. And then I switched to another brand and that thing is straight-up badass with no fear of anything.

You might want to look into that.

Ours doesn’t have a cleanable filter (at least, not one that I can find), but I’ve found that running through one of those “clean your dishwasher” tablets every 6 months or so seems to fix the stinky dishwasher problem nicely. :slight_smile:

I have a conceptual problem with cleaning items that are supposed to clean things, it just feels weird. Which is why my hoover looks like I fished it out of a dumpster.

You should probably change the filter every so often-- it’s more efficient that way.

Shit, I don’t have no fancy-schmancy Dyson. My hoover has bags