What Should I Read Next? Suggestions based on books you enjoyed

[Permalink]

Based on the screen shot, it looks kinda random to me.

1 Like

No matter what books I put in they keep recommending something called ā€œLittle Brotherā€ by some doctor.

12 Likes

Nice idea, but I prefer it built into things Iā€™m already using. Donā€™t want to have to maintain multiple lists of what Iā€™ve read .So Goodreads is pretty good. Then again, my TBR virtual pile is huge (just shy of 300 books) so I donā€™t really need new suggestions. Also, rather than a random list - I do like Boing Boingā€™s book recommendations and Scalziā€™s Big Idea or recommendations from friends who know my tastes.

1 Like

I plugged in a book published in 2002, and it couldnā€™t be found. So it gave me a chance to look up the book by ISBN. I got this:

I donā€™t know how good the recommendations will be, but I think I could have a lot of fun adding books.

I put in The Story of O and the results consisted entirely of Anne Rice, with the exceptions of what appears to be a Christian romance novel and Kahlil Gibranā€™s The Prophet. Weird.

I enter: ā€œLes Miserablesā€ by Victor Hugo.
Site recommends ā€œMercy Watson Goes for a Rideā€ by Kate DiCamillo.

Now donā€™t get me wrong, my kids enjoyed DiCamillo in 4th grade, but her picture book about a pig riding in a car is a bit of a stretch from 18th century desolation, incarceration, hubris at the barricades and redemption at the hands of a kindly bishop. Maybe Mercy Watson is a Christ figure and Iā€™ve been missing it all along!

2 Likes

I get frustrated by recommendation algorithms. For example, on Netflix if I watch a great movie with an African American lead, the algorithm assumes, ā€œyou are black,ā€ and then I end up with a whole list of crappy movies with African Americans in them. If I watch a great show targeted to teens, algorithm says, ā€œyou are 14,ā€ and I get recommended to watch the entire CW catalog. I watch a show with a female lead, I get ā€œMovies with a strong female leadā€ as a category and a whole slew of bad movies with women in them.

Hereā€™s the deal - yes there are genres you can skip - Iā€™m okay with spelling that out to a machine - but I donā€™t really read a book about a woman because thereā€™s a woman in it, or a book about Mormons because Iā€™m all so interested in Mormons. I know some people like to read the same story over and over again, but I want variety in what I read.

4 Likes

Asked for recommendations based on ā€œThe Martianā€ by Andy Weir (a sci-fi survival thriller!) and got backā€¦ a lot of romance novels.

This has to be the worst recommendation algorithm ever. Is it doing anything besides matching LoC subject headings?

Did not have the same problem with Thus Spoke* Zarathustra.

* ā€œSpakeā€ can fuck itself.

1 Like

Got same results. Perhaps theyā€™re recommending the books you need, not the books you want.

1 Like

I put in Mortimer Adlerā€™s ā€œHow to Read a Bookā€, and it pointed me to a list of ā€˜Books and Readingā€™.
Wow; it never occurred to me.

The fundamental failure of these recommendation algorithms is that they assume that if I read and enjoyed a book, I would want to read another book like it next. When I would most likely want to read something entirely different.

2 Likes

What should I read next? Probably something from the ginormous piles of stuff Iā€™ve already purchased. Tsundoku 4 Lyfe, yo.

[quote=ā€œChuckV, post:6, topic:50854, full:trueā€]I put in The Story of O and the results consisted entirely of Anne Rice, with the exceptions of what appears to be a Christian romance novel and Kahlil Gibranā€™s The Prophet. Weird.[/quote]Yā€™know, sheā€™s written some freaky sh!t, to put it mildly. Very mildly.
http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/reviews/beauty.htm

Meh.

I put in Neal Stephenson and got Neal Stephenson back. I put in Margaret Atwood and got Margaret Atwood back.

I know of the Sleeping Beauty trilogy. It was just odd that the list was so heavily weighted towards her work, and the two exceptions were the icing on the cake.

James Chiles, Inviting disaster - lessons from the edge of technology, nothing. Added it in so it now shows, but with no suggestions.
Richard Poisel, electronic warfare anything, nothing.
Robert McShea, Test and evaluation of aircraft avionics and weapon systems, nothing.
Vincent Dunn, Collapse of burning buildings, ā€œSorry, there were no results - this is probably because your search edition doesnā€™t appear in many usersā€™ booklists.ā€.
Barbara Moran, The day we lost the H-bomb, nothing.
Richard Thompson, Crystal clear - about WW2 crystal oscillators history, nothing. Name query offers instead Jane Heller, Crystal clear, which is something entirely different.
Bee Wilson, Swindled - the dark history of food fraud, nothing.
Trevor Kletz, What went wrong, you can guess for yourself.
Charles Harper, Handbook of ceramics, glasses and diamonds, drumrolls please, NOTHING.

And thatā€™s the lighter stuff.
Oh WELLā€¦

I was interested to learn that one of the first ten recommendations for Ralph Ellisonā€™s Invisible Man is The Book of Five Rings. Now I canā€™t stop thinking of the crossover fanfiction possibilities.

2 Likes

A lot of these recommendation engines are only as good as the people that use them. If a book is only in one userā€™s book list, it will recommend the other books in that userā€™s book list. I never liked whatshouldireadnext for this reason. Iā€™ve used Your Next Read a handful of times, and found it much better. Yes, itā€™s still going to recommend the same type of book (ie if you put in a John Scalzi book, itā€™s going to recommend other fun sci fi stuff), but really, how else should it work? ā€œYou like this particular genre of sci fi, hereā€™s some more similar stuffā€. Itā€™s helped me find authors that Iā€™d never really read much of in the past, when Iā€™m looking for something in the same genre. If Iā€™m looking for variety, Iā€™ll head to some of the ā€œbest books of the yearā€ lists in other genres, rather than trying to get a recommendation engine to recommend something to me based on one book that I give it.

1 Like

I think I can see the logic there: Ralph Ellisonā€™s ā€œThe Invisible Manā€ -> ā€œHey, H.G. Wells also wrote a book called The Invisible Man.ā€ -> ā€œIn The Hobbit thereā€™s a ring that turns you into an invisible man, thatā€™s kind of close.ā€ -> Whatā€™s better than one ring? Five! So my recommendation is: ā€œThe Book of the Five Ringsā€

3 Likes