Whiskey production is not keeping up with whiskey demand

actually, the gin renaissance is going on right now, too : )

Now if only they could get the agave supply under control. The price and availability of my beloved tequila has been a rollercoaster since '98 or so.

2 Likes

Ah, purists. Silly as ever.

Inventors to the rescue: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/05/02/180661986/how-a-distillery-ages-bourbon-in-days-not-years

BTW, The only other place I have heard the expression ā€œall yā€™allā€ was Air Force boot camp in Texas fifty years ago.

1 Like

Fortunately here in Japan we have a nice wide variety of good domestic single malts. No crisis for the chasiddim here!

3 Likes

Iā€™m so glad Iā€™ve got my stash of bottles from ********** distillery. I shanā€™t go thirsty.

1 Like

Thank god. Iā€™ve never been cool, didnā€™t mean to break a perfect streak.

Are there now Irish distilleries that use a rye and wheat mash? I was under the impression that all Irish whiskey is distilled from barley.

[EDIT: Common sense kicked in and I googled ā€œpoteenā€ which, based on my (very limited) reading, appears to be the Irish equivalent of white lightning.]

1 Like

Too right. There are some seriously good Japanese whiskys.

2 Likes

Let me know when the vodka supply is in doubt.

1 Like

Try Googling the entire thingā€¦

I donā€™t see how thatā€™s a copy error. Every definition Iā€™ve ever seen of ā€œbourbonā€ clearly categorizes it as a type of whiskey.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry.

2 Likes

Correct, sir. There didnā€™t used to be, to use perfect English. But now there be. Ahoy matey, scupper this rum sewage and pour us a Suntory.

1 Like

My dear ex-girlfriend bought me a bottle of Pappy Van Winkleā€™s 23-year old bourbon a few years back. I thought it was quite an extravagance, costing over $200. Imagine my surprise when I found out what itā€™s going for nowadays.

What are you talking about in Japan? Japanese companies own many of the major Bourbon and Scotch labels as well. Isnā€™t Laphroaig and Jim Beam now owned by the Japanese?

1 Like

I mean domestic brands like Yoichi, Yamazaki, Hakushu, Miyagikyo, Hibiki and those are just the well known brands.

No, I havenā€™t tried any of those yet. Iā€™ve heard a little bit but havenā€™t paid too much attention. Iā€™m a single malt fan myself. I like the peat-monsters but Dalwhinne 15 is the apple of my eye.

Do yourself a favor and try some of the Japanese single malts. Donā€™t just take my word for it, if you google around you will find ā€œrespectedā€ others saying the same.

1 Like

I havenā€™t tried too many myself but I definitely like Yamazaki.

Had it at the local Fried Chicken and Whisky restaurant :smile:

1 Like