Who said it: Charles Manson or Kanye West?

This.
Kanye is a media whore much more than a producer anyway. He once made some ok beats. But he since gave up on that to try to become the most obnoxious media mogul since Trump.

Um no. Actually not true particularly in the case of music. Pop music is “popular” because it gets played the most on the most accessible outlets.
Context is king in music. If you hear “X” EDM song on a loud system at a big festival you will most likely think it is more of a ‘banger’ than other songs.
If you hear a song 934329423984 times on TV/Radio/Commercials it MUST be popular right?

Remember when “Cotton Eye Joe” was considered a Pop song in the early 90s… Yeah that happened. Most popular song ever right?

Think a bit more critically. The “gatekeepers” are not the public… Especially in the case of popular music.

3 Likes

Yay! First time in my life that I got 100% correct without cheating.

The secret is knowing the difference between the manic egotism that goes with mental instability and the narcissism that comes with successful businessmen.

Every time I hear something like that, I think of this:

Rhyming “say” with “say”? C’mon, my kids could do better…

I was sure the Answer Key was going to read:

Answers – 1: Kanye, 2: Kanye, 3: Kanye, 4: Kanye, 5: Kanye, 6: Kanye, 7: Kanye, 8: Kanye, 9: Kanye, 10: Kanye, 11: Kanye, 12: Kanye, 13: Kanye

3 Likes

I had been trying to forget, damn you.

3 Likes
"I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book's autograph. I am a proud nonreader of books."

Rampant narcissism I can shrug off. This, though, is sad and only serves to enforce an already huge problem with ignorance in America.

3 Likes

No, no, no. He’s a phenomenally talented entertainer. Phenomenally! Says so right there in the description.

“I am the voice of a generation!!”-- Charles Manson

1 Like

Huh? That’s exactly what I am saying.

When I refer to the class of gatekeepers/curators I am necessarily not talking about the public but a select few who dominate the primary channels of media.

I know exactly what Lennon meant and the full context of when he said it, and I think it’s hard to argue it wasn’t a statement made from an inflated sense of his own popularity.

Kanye’s remarkable number of haters is definitely due to his huge popularity - the more people know you the more are going to dislike you. Lots of people hate arrogant people - as you say, people think Gene Simmons and Liam Gallagher are assholes; I think they are assholes. I don’t think that Oasis or KISS are hated enough to garner a petition against them playing in my hometown, but I could be wrong, and it could just be that not enough people would care about them.

But if you are asking what my point is, to borrow from the incredible Kanye point about: “I just told you.”

That is my point. I am suspicious because it sounds like calling a successful black man uppity. I don’t think we live in a post racial world or that I am above racial stereotypes. I think noticing that is a good idea.

I don’t take responsibility for the layout since I copy/pasted from a lyrics site, but it’s more like “sky” is a semi-rhyme with 25 and alive and “and say” is a little aside afterwards. “We don’t care what people say” doesn’t rhyme with anything.

I know exactly what Lennon meant and the full context of when he said it, and I think it’s hard to argue it wasn’t a statement made from an inflated sense of his own popularity.

But The Beatles actually had talent, so even if they did have enormous egos, at least it was justified. Kanye’s remarkable number of haters have a deep well to draw from for which to fuel their hate, not only is he an idiot with a massively inflated ego, he’s also a shit musician.

I’m not sure what your objective standard for saying someone is a good or bad musician is. Lou Reed has said a lot of things and he said he’d never heard anything like Yeezus:

http://thetalkhouse.com/music/talks/lou-reed-of-the-velvet-underground-talks-kanye-wests-yeezus/

And it works. It works because it’s beautiful — you either like it or you don’t — there’s no reason why it’s beautiful. I don’t know any musician who sits down and thinks about this. He feels it, and either it moves you too, or it doesn’t, and that’s that. You can analyze it all you want.

1 Like

Have you heard Lou Reeds final work? Any respect I might have had for his opinion disappeared after that godawful collaboration. I also doubt Lou Reed had much knowledge about hip hop, especially the more experimental end of it where it crosses over with electronic music. So when he says he never heard anything like Yeezus before, I believe him, but not because there’s nothing out there that sounds like it, he just didn’t know it was out there, and that it was done much better the first time. I respect some of the producers on Yeezus: HudMo, Lunice and Arca in particular, glad they got paid at least. But adding Kanye’s second rate rhymes over experimental beats is nothing special, just makes the music sound worse. If you want to listen to some genuinely innovative hip hop, check out something like Shabazz Palaces.

I don’t know if I confused the issue by picking Lou Reed out as a single example of someone who raved about a single one of Kanye’s albums. If you wanted to talk shit about everyone who had written about how great Kanye’s albums were you’d be here for a long time.

Maybe you are actually an excellent evaluator of the quality of music - enough so that I ought to trust your opinion over the vast majority of music reviewers - I wouldn’t have any way of knowing that. Generally, when I hear people say “Kanye is a shitty musician” it sounds to me like they are taking their dislike of him and projecting it onto his music - it’s not enough to not like something, it has to be objectively bad too. I just don’t see how that case can be made.

If you wanted to talk shit about everyone who had written about how great Kanye’s albums were you’d be here for a long time.

I’m here all day, who’s up next?

Generally, when I hear people say “Kanye is a shitty musician” it sounds to me like they are taking their dislike of him and projecting it onto his music

I didn’t think much of his music before I realised he was insane, I had no opinion of him personally at that point, he just seemed like another run of the mill uninspired pop hip hop artist (commercial hip hop hasn’t really had anything interesting to say since the late 90s, Kendrick Lamar is the only possible exception I can think of at the moment, and that’s mostly because of the involvement of Flying Lotus and Thundercat on his last album). My levels of dislike now are certainly influenced by the scale of his delusions and ego, and probably also by the fact that so many people seem to be fooled by it all, but primarily it’s musical.

1 Like

Metacritic will point you to 25+ reviews per album. Google should find even more.

Do you mean, “So many people love his music”? This is what the issue is, in what way are these people being fooled when they listen to music that they enjoy? If you don’t like Kanye’s music, then that’s a personal opinion, shared by millions. If a larger number of millions do like his music, why do they have it wrong? Whether or not a musician was good seems like something for historians to settle at least a few decades after.

The Beatles had some talent behind their big egos, but they couldn’t have known that at the time. From what I can tell their most popular song of all time is Hey Jude, if they were thinking they were great on the back of that then I don’t know what to say.

Anyway, I think I’ve eaten up enough space talking this point out, I guess final word goes to you if desired.

1 Like

Do you mean, “So many people love his music”? This is what the issue is, in what way are these people being fooled when they listen to music that they enjoy?

I’m not talking about the general music listening public so much as the critics, who should know better. People whose career is to know about music shouldn’t be able to use ignorance as an excuse. And I’m not saying people are being fooled into liking him, they are being fooled into thinking he’s some kind of musical genius though, because he’s not, objectively speaking, all matters of taste aside.

All music written after 1935, with the exception of coltrane, Wilco and the decemberists–blessed be their names–is rubbish.