Why country music was awful in 2013

What - no mention of “Cruise”?

OK - I guess technically it originally came out in 2012 - but Nelly resurrected it with a remix in 2013 and unleashed it on the unsuspecting world of pop music. Thanks, Nelly.

What ever happened to shooting men in Reno just to watch them die?

Country music was only awful in 2013 if you don’t count Neko Case as “country.” Because one phenomenal new Neko Case album makes up for a whole lotta garbage.

2 Likes

I believe John Prine was still a postman in 1969, so this is not possible. Try this one: There hasn’t been a good rap song since “The Message”.

2 Likes

I’m going to shed a tear in my beer and throw on some Supersuckers Must’ve Been High.

2 Likes

Methinks Mark is trolling for comments, but I recommend he take a look at Son Volt, the Cowboy Junkies, Neko Case, Wilco, the Be Good Tanyas, Emmylou Harris, the Jayhawks, Lucinda Williams, Sally Timms, and half of “King of America.”

4 Likes

Turns out “I’m a Man of Constant Sorrow” was actually first performed in the states in 1913, so there goes my clever remark. If it’s even considered country.

The /only/ good country song was The Gambler, by Kenny Rogers

Reminiscent of the hip hop obsession with Jewish lawyers.

oh no… if you look hard enough there is some great country. my favorite is Wayne Hancock. I understand that his product is so OTT as to make him appear to be a cartoon but there were a few years in the '90s where geography allowed for us to be pretty good friends and i’m here to tell you that the man is as country as homemade soap.

this is an old video when Chris Miller was on telecaster/pedal steel (he now plays 2nd for Dave Alvin) and Kevin Smith on bass.

3 Likes

No, it was a lousy year because the Possum passed away. And he made 1980 the last good year.

There’s just not enough trains in country music these days. :frowning:

From 2005 featuring the late Bruce Reynolds himself.

I think he’s limiting his definition to mainstream radio country and No-True-Scotsmanning the music you mention.

But yeah, calling a right-wing-pandering jingoistic Vietnam-era song the last good one does peg the troll-o-meter.

3 Likes

I could only make it to 2:13 before I had to stop. It literally drove my wife out of the room.

1 Like

The Devil Went Down To Georgia, 1979.

4 Likes

I was gonna say “What about Corb Lund?”, but then I remembered his most recent album was actually late 2012 instead of early 2013.

Also, Corb Lund and The Hurtin’ Albertans are Canucks, so while technically “country” music, they don’t fit the context of country music from the States.

Oh well. Corb Lund is good. I normally hate country music. I like to recommend him whenever I can, because he’s actually enjoyable, and because he’s self aware, poetic, and often poignant.

Thank you for the reminder of the awesomeness that was Johnny Cash.

Yeah, it’s pretty grim, but you could easily do the same with any genre… 95% of any style is sh!t

2 Likes

It’s amusing how many of you are saying ‘NO WAY there was good country after 1969’ then offering up 70s music. And I can’t deny it!

Today’s country is 10 years old top 40 + steel guitar and more whining. There’s still a few nuggets of good stuff, but just ugh. A lot like Christian music, really, which is just 10 years old top 40 + hypocrisy.

Folk/bluegrass music is still a much better good/shit ratio.

1 Like
1 Like