Why Downey walked off during that interview

[Permalink]

Never could stand KGM. Newsround was beyond him.

Promotional interviews are stupid bullshit, I agree. Which is why I don’t watch them. But if you hold that opinion you shouldn’t conduct them either.

At least RDJ didn’t shut his butt down.

6 Likes

Downey has ALWAYS been open about his past! It’s not as if Downey never talks about his past. If the interviewer had been good at his job, he could have easily connected the character Tony Stark to the real-life man Robert Downey, Jr and gotten some interesting responses from the actor.

7 Likes

Downey has addressed his past many times. It is now far behind and a closed chapter. Bringing it up again is not only cheap but sorely uninteresting at this point, which really isn’t good for an interviewer.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t disagree. He does still talk about it, though, but like I said, it takes a good interviewer to be able to pull it off, especially in the context of a promotional interview for a damn superhero movie. All in all, this interviewer stinks.

But, part of his questioning was asking if RBJ had moved beyond his past and that’s when it became clear to me that the interviewer was asking questions we already know the answer to (yes, RBJ has clearly moved on), or he doesn’t know fuck all about RBJ. I am betting on the former.

3 Likes

As I hinted at, KGM has form in this. Maybe C4 should hire someone else if they want to do these:

6 Likes

If the person being interviewed had been someone with policymaking power, someone who does things that directly impact pwople, I’d care more about the hardball questions, and I wouldn’t want him to be able to walk away. But this celebrity, and these questions? I really don’t care if he answers them or not.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen this. Deliberately antagonistic during a freakin’ promotional interview about a superhero movie. And yet he still has a job. However, Tarantino is kind of weird and not nearly as beloved (at least in the same way) as Downey. I wonder if we’ll ever see KGM do one of these interviews ever again. Or, they will continue to happen once or twice a year because it makes for pave views and press.

2 Likes

I couldn’t help but notice the interview was poorly lit, perhaps an intentional tactic to evoke a darker persona? I also noticed KGM often seems to smile after each one of his questions, creating an air of superiority. None of his questions were particularly engaging, and it looks as though Robert was anxious to be somewhere else from the start. That style of smarmy interviewing should only be used on politicians who do smarmy things.

2 Likes

KGM looked positively PLEASED with himself. His entire intent was clearly to make RDJ uncomfortable. He was probably hoping for a bigger reaction closer to Tarantino’s (and I bet RDJ’s past is a big reason why KGM went after the actor), but he was probably still pleased as punch that he made a lowly actor uncomfortable enough to walk out.

You know how some people have “resting bitch face”? KGM has resting smug face.

And why do I keep typing “RBJ” instead of “RDJ”? LOL

4 Likes

Ha that was funny. Love the “its getting a little Dianne Sawyer” quip from Downey as he walked off. Well said.

More to the point, why is the stereo reversed for the interview video? Driving me bonkers, that is.

Maybe it’s just my laptop…

Robert Downey Jr doesn’t only not try to hide his past, he’ll even bring it up on his own in interviews.

6 Likes

It’s not just your laptop. It was mixed with KGM’s mic on the right channel and RDJ’s mic on the left. If you can turn down your right speaker only, on the left speaker you can hear the handler/publicist/agent ending the interview at 6:37.

2 Likes

I want something serious and illuminating

Good luck with that, dude. He’s got the kind of manner that would make me resent him asking me what time it was.

4 Likes

No kidding, by the second question in I’m impressed RDJ hadn’t started throttling that Cheshire cat.

3 Likes

Short answer: he’s human.

I mean how dare he display emotion!

1 Like

When I read about this my thought was that Downey is contractually obliged to not speak about his bad history during these softball interviews. Hence his looking to the handler for support.

Knowing the interviewer is a hotshot moron adds to my belief that it was not going according to the agreement.

2 Likes

Fuck this tabloid garbage. Nobody with a brain cares about “the tough questions”, just the interesting and insightful ones. I hope that guy gets blacklisted by celebs. Who needs that? Banal is bad enough, having to deal with outright hostility over children’s entertainment is just ridiculous. Celebs are puppets for the entertainment of broken people. I guess.

2 Likes

Maybe he needs to work a little harder to hide his smugness, it’s painfully obvious. “We’re News Program” he excreted, verbally.

2 Likes