Why Facebook changed its friends icon

I agree, for the most part. With the qualifier that this is still an ethnocentric/localized perspective. Because the same “systems” cannot be assumed for all times and places. Better to index it in some way, such as “in 20th century USA” or such than treating it as universal. Otherwise, it’s the same bias trap of saying “Yeah, technically, but that doesn’t matter because those aren’t the obvious examples I am talking about.”

But, this could be a regressive move for those who do not share those same attitudes, conscious or otherwise. Saying “our” to share in values you refute could be seen as dishonest, or at least assuming too much. Why not “some people’s subconscious attitudes”? It seems contradictory to suggest. on the one hand, that we are incrementally contributing to awareness - while on the other, saying that we all naturally see it the same way.

Probably a bigger problem! Who is more deserving to be a stereotype? Men or women? How is unthinkingly accepting these any better than doing so with racial stereotypes? Causally, it seems probable to me that if people refuted the stereotypes, the rest of the symbolism would effortlessly fix itself.